Prologue (Edited)

Hola people who are (hopefully) reading this, I just posted the prologue to give you a sneak peak of the book. Hope you like :)

Willa Small rested on her bed. The single mattress was soft and Willa was mostly at peace, except for the occasional pain that would flare through her head. Her thin hair was sprawled around the pillow. Her fragile body was fighting to stay alive, as she took shallow breaths.

Lance and little Damaria stood by her side as they watched her fight the illness that was taking over her small body. Lance was well aware of his mother's dire condition, whereas his little sister was only aware that their mother was sick. The little girl had hope that her mother would get well soon.

Kurt Small, their father watched his wife suffer while she tried to obtain some sleep. The barely working fan was making creaking sounds as the speed gradually increased. But Kurt couldn't be bothered any less. His eyes were trained on his ill wife. He couldn't stand to see his precious flower in pain. She had never deserved this.

Kurt Small, was hunched over as he watched his two children crying by their dying mother. He rubbed his face with his large hand and released a tired sigh. Willa was the love of his life and he was losing her in less time then he had found her. And for some odd reason he believed it was his fault. He only blamed himself.

Every once in a while she would awake, disoriented and confused. He watched, pained to see his wife in so main agony. She was fighting a cancer that had no easy cure. Her hair had become as thin as thread and her cheerful face was now pale, her eyes that twinkled with light were now lined with dark bags and tiredness. But he still loved her. And he would continue to love her.

"Daddy, what's wrong with mommy?" Damaria turned to her father; Kurt. He looked down at the little angel and reached down to pick her up. She was so lost in the dark and so young that no one had the heart to tell her the truth.

At age seven, the little girl was losing her mother. But not for the first time. He couldn't stand to see the look on her face when she discovered the truth.

"I don't know, pumpkin." Kurt released a sad sigh.

"Come on Damaria, let's go play outside." Lance took little Damaria's hand in his and walked out of the room. He did anything to distract the little girl he loved with all his heart. His father waved at him before pulling up a chair and waiting for his wife to wake up.

Outside Lance had tried to get Damaria's mind off of the illness of their loving mother. He, himself was too upset to do much else. For his young mind it was too much to handle. He wasn't supposed to knew these things he was supposed to believe the world was perfect until he got older. At least that's what he heard the adults say around him. Whispering though he could clearly hear them.

"Is mommy going to get better?" Damaria asked, her eyes filling with tears as she hugged onto her older brother's torso. She rested the side of her head against his chest, his heartbeat calming her down. It was normal in this world that had managed to spiral out of control of her tiny hands.

"I'm not sure, Damaria. But we have to stay strong for mommy. Okay?" Lance wanted Damaria to be happy, but at a time like this it was difficult for him to be happy. He looked down at the little girl hoping to see a smile. Instead he was thrown another question he could not answer.

"What will happen, of mommy doesn't get better?"

"That won't happen, Damaria. We're praying she gets better." In Lance's mind he knew he was wrong. He knew she wasn't likely to get better. But he couldn't say it out loud. That would make it possible. It would make it real.