Chapter 41 (Edited)

Damaria woke up, massaging her eyes with her fingers she looked around and noticed the daylight shining through the window. For a second her mind couldn't comprehend what was going on or where she was. Her entire vision was shifted and she seemed to be still asleep. But there was a nagging thought in the back of head, reminding her of something that was urgent.

     Finally getting the courage to get up, she used her hands and pushed herself up from the cold, hard ground. Her back ached from the hard floor she had fallen asleep on sometime during the night. She couldn't seem to remember. And her body felt cold inside out. There was a strange chill, like a bad feeling crawling up her spine, ready to jump at her along with all the memories.

      She stood up and stretched her arms and her back. Multiple cracks were heard and Damaria could've sworn that she saw a rat scurry out of the darkness upon hearing the sound. She backed up to the wall not noticing the only door in the room was now open. Letting the breeze and allowing an escape for her.

     Unlike last night the front door was now wide entrance or exit way and it seemed to be whispering for her to leave. She was sure that no one actually lived in this building anymore, which had to mean that the hooded figure who locked her in must've been the one to let her out. But that would only happen in books or movies, where the tormentor had the possible chance of falling in love with the tormented. Or feel even remotely remorseful.

     She could feel the crusted streams of tears on her face. They were froze in place, a tableau of the night before to remind her that nothing is over, in fact it has just begun.

     But right now Damaria needed to take a deep breath and head home before work started. She was well aware that she still wasn't sure if Ryder and Libby were okay. That was her number one concern.

     Not giving her decision a second thought she left the dreadful room and headed down and out towards her car. She was going to need a coffee if she was planning on surviving the day.

---

      In half an hour she was at her house and was unlocking the door. When she entered the news was on and Libby was standing with her back facing Damaria.

      The blonde woman on the television was recollecting current events, like they do everyday. "...Bradley Arsen a 33 year old man was found dead outside in an alley a couple nights ago. So far the police blame it on Midnight and with the witness from Edith Hathaway, it was confirmed that Bradley was indeed murdered-" Ryder walked into the living room and grabbed the remote before he turned the television off.

      "Libby, take a break." He put the remote down.

      Damaria stayed by the door taking her shoes off. She was aware she was eaves dropping but it needed to be done.

      "How can I? What if my father is next?" She sighed, falling onto the couch.

     "Let's hope not?" Ryder glared at the television.

      Damaria entered the room. "Hello. Why are you two not ready for school?" She kept the conversation cool and short.

     Ryder turned to see his aunt standing in the doorway of the living room. But what stopped him from greeting her was her state. She had tears running down her face and her clothing looked as if someone had pushed her into a dirt pile.

     "Aunt Damaria...what happened?" Ryder hesitated. Asking his aunt personal questions was something his father even reprimanded him from doing. But in this scenario it seemed necessary.

     "Nothing. Now what about my question?" Damaria firmly waved off.

     Libby and Ryder exchanged looks before looking back at her. There was something she was hiding, Damaria was a woman of utmost respect on her experience and appearance.