Chapter 44 (Edited)

A banging sounded on the door, echoing throughout the large penthouse. Libby ran from her room to Ryder's, her heart beat racing and her breathing uneven. She knocked on his door frantically. The palms of her hands banging against the white wooden door.

"Ryder open up!" She yelled, turning back to check behind her.

In a matter of moments, the white door was flung open and Ryder was standing on the other side. His eyes wide and stance ready to take on anything on the other side.

"Did you hear that?" She asked. Eyes wide as she breath heavily.

Ryder only nodded. His moved around her carefully not making any action to comfort her. "Where's Maria?" He questioned.

"She left earlier." Libby pointed back towards the door.

"Who's at the door, you think?" He asked as he headed for the direction of the door.

Ryder shrugged.

The loud banging continued. Intensifying as time went by.

"Damaria has the keys." Libby whispered.

"I know."

Ryder and Libby walked closer to the door. Ryder only a few steps ahead, it bothered Libby that he was acting as any male would. But at a time like this she wasn't going to object to anything.

They reached the door just as it was broken off its hinges. Ryder and Libby fell back as the heavy wooden door fell on them.

     A piercing pain shot through Libby's ribs and she held in a scream.  Tears of pain slipped out of her eyes and she but her bottom lip.

"Son of a-"

"What the-"

Ryder and Libby cursed at the same time.

"Who the stands behind a door?" The pair lying underneath the door looked up and glare at Arturo. The man in question standing there with a large metal pole and the side of his shirt covered in red.

"What the hell are you doing here?" Ryder struggled to get up.

"Saving your lives." Arturo answered.

"What do you mean?" Libby looked up.

"From Damaria, she's Midnight." Arturo sounded in hurry and Ryder wasn't going anywhere until he got some answers.

Arturo helped them lift the door off of themselves and lean it agains the wall. Ryder got up as Arturo helped Libby up. She flinched as she straightened her back, Arturo looked down to her stomach.

"What happened?" He questioned.

      "I could ask you the same thing." She answered.

"Libby, your ribs." Without a second thought Ryder led Libby to living room and ran into the kitchen to get the first aid kit. He was about to open it when Libby spoke.

"Later...right now we need...to hear what...Arturo has to say...continue." She breath, resting in the sofa she tried to ignore the searing pain.