Chapter 26 (Edited)

Libby walked from the bus stop to Damaria's penthouse. She remembered Damaria mentioning the dangerous neighbourhood before hers, but at the moment she had no choice. The sun had already set and it was getting quite dark. Libby shivered as the night brought a cool breeze.

The walk wasn't necessarily a bad thing, but it most definitely was a bad idea. She was terribly afraid of what lay in the dark alleys and the abandoned homes. Her brain was telling her to just ask Ryder for a ride but her heart and pride was sure that she'd regret it.

     As she entered her temporary 'home' for now, she could smell the deliciousness of what Maria made for dinner. Her head swam with different possibilities and she almost smiled, forgetting about her bruised cheek. She knew she couldn't eat dinner with the rest of them. They would question her and Libby wasn't going to tell anyone. Not a single soul would learn about her encounter with Ryder's friends.

     Quietly, she locked the front door and tiptoed to her room. She was almost there when a voice stopped her.

     "Libby dear, it's quite late." Over the past few days, Libby and the rest of the household had acknowledged Maria as the cook and part time housekeeper. Now she supposed she had become a part time nanny as well.

     "Sorry. I lost track of time." Libby didn't turn to face her. Her heart was beating so fast she was sure it would explode.

      "Well hurry dear and wash up and then come for dinner."

      "It's okay...I'm not really hungry." Libby stuttered. She could feel a thin layer of sweat building on the palm of her hands.

      "Nonsense dear, it's not good for your body to skip a meal."

      Libby hunched over and sighed. "Fine. I'll be back in a minute."

     Libby hurried to her room, the brightly lit hallway didn't help with keeping her bruises in the dark. She felt as though everyone could see right through her. All pairs of eyes were watching her like hawks. She wasn't ready to tell anyone and she sure didn't know how to.

     Getting changed, Libby added extra foundation and concealer to her face. She was worried about looking like she was actually getting ready, so she threw on some sweats and a Marvel superhero t- shirt. After checking all her bruises were covered she headed out to the dining room.

      As she approached the kitchen, she could hear Damaria and Ryder speaking. They're voices were calm, unlike the ones of her parents she used to hear at home. In the kitchen, she felt calmer, her parents weren't around to argue about her, they couldn't hurt her with their words or sometimes their fists. She felt safe for a while. But she knew it would only ever last so long.

     Ryder and Damaria looked up and smiled at her as she sat down at the table. Libby barely smiled back, her left cheek hurt and her eyes started to water. Ryder stared and Libby desperately tried to smile a little wider.

      "Hello Libby, how was your day? I heard you two went shopping." Damaria placed her fork on the napkin beside her plate.

     Libby fidgeted with her hands and utensils before finally looking up at Damaria. In a strained voice Libby replied. "It was fine. I didn't buy much. I went to just browse more."

      Damaria turned to Ryder. "You did not buy anything either?" Damaria quirked an eyebrow.

     "No. I didn't need anything." Ryder replied, as smoothly as his nervous mind could.

     "Hmm...I see." Damaria dabbed at the corners of her mouth with a second napkin.

     Libby pushed her food around on her plate and then set her fork down. "Damaria, may I be excused?"