Chapter 22 (Edited)

Damaria entered the house it was quiet but was threatening enough. Her tiny body ached all over from all the pushing, shoving and punching she received at school. She didn't want Lance to find out and she didn't want to be around her father while she was at home alone. Quietly she made her way to her room, careful not to step on the creaking stairs. She was very aware of the noises their tiny house made and very aware of all the possible reason her father could get angry at her.

     She reached her door and pulled it open and rushed inside, locking it behind her. Quickly she threw everything on to the ground and closed the curtains. Then slowly she walked to her bathroom and pulled her shirt off. Underneath, her body was covered in bruises of different colours. She couldn't see with her eyes becoming blurry and her hands shaking. She dropped the hem of her shirt and fell to her knees. Curled on the cold bathroom floor, only separated by a thin red rug. It wasn't red to begin with. But had become red over the times she had 'accidentally' cut herself. Or when she got beat up so badly that the blood wouldn't stop flowing.

     She knew Lance wouldn't notice because he was barely around. He was studying at a far off university and she knew calling him was a bad idea. It was a bad idea in general to even speak about this to anyone.

      Silently her tears flowed down her cheeks and she covered her mouth to keep from making a sound. She lay there shirtless and covered in bruises from the past and the present. She was very well aware of what could happen if her father found her. But her body was too tired to move. She didn't have enough energy to close the door or open the lights. Her back was facing the bathroom door and her bedroom. She was afraid that someone would see her through her thin pink curtains. There was little amount of light streaming in from the curtains that allowed her to see herself in the bathroom mirror.

---

     The school halls were rushing and people were pushing and shoving to get to classes. Damaria rushed to her locker before lunch. She was still aching from last night and she hadn't had breakfast this morning. She had used the last of the money Lance sent her for clothes she needed.

     Hear heart beat rapidly as she tried to desperately get to her locker without being bruised. The student were yelling and screaming on top of each other and Damaria was sure she wouldn't be able to hear later on.

     Once she reached her locker, something seemed off. The locker was already open and hanging on its hinges. She opened it slowly only to the door fully fall down. She jumped back at the loud crash and looked around but the hallways were empty. She moved the broken door aside and proceeded to take her belongings out of her locker. When she realized half of her stuff was missing.

     "Looking for these?" Bradley said. He was holding her phone and her math textbook. "You see I found your locker open and decided Damaria wouldn't mind if I took these." He shrugged. Swiping his head in the right firestorm yo flick his dark hair out of his eyes.

      Damaria clenched her fists. "Give it back."

     "How about...no." He laughed obnoxiously.

     "I'm in no mood for jokes." Damaria growled.

     "I'm not joking, Damaria." He stepped closer so he was towering over her.  "I'm dead serious." He whispered in her face.

     Damaria brought her fist back and punched him in the face. He stumbled back and dropped her phone and textbook. She grabbed them off the floor and ran. As fast as she could she made it out of the school when someone stepped in front her. She tripped falling down the front stairs and rolling on the pavement. She could see flashes and sounds of cameras clicking. She turned to see Darryl and Arturo holding their phones and repeatedly taking pictures.