Chapter 33 (Edited)

Libby sat quietly in the living room. The sleek, black laptop was sitting next to her on the sofa as she watched the television. The news from last night was being reported. She wasn't the least bit surprised when another murder was reported. She was beginning to get tired of being afraid and not knowing who this murderer was.

     So far she had only listed the people who were killed. She had no idea what connections these people had. In fact these people were too different to even be neighbours. She was aware not to judge a book by its cover but the recent stories and the amount of research she had done over the week proved that these people rarely ever met. But besides that she couldn't understand what the real reason was. She knew she needed more information. But where could she get info on people who were just like her.

      She was still staring at the news replaying on the television when it turned off.

     She turned around and saw Ryder standing next to the sofa with the remote in hand. She waited for him to explain.

     "What are you doing?" Ryder asked. The tension from their encounter earlier at the museum was still a little raw.

      She shrugged.

      "I'm- I- Aunt Damaria is called, she had to have dinner without her...she's running a little late. And we have school tomorrow." Ryder shrugged. But he wasn't looking at her, instead he stared at the blank television screen.

     She was aware that earlier he had wanted to help her or protect her or whatever but that wasn't what she wanted. She wasn't stupid, she knew there were tons of ways to get out of their bullying but sometimes she thought that maybe they were right. Her own parents didn't want her and she had absolutely no friends. So in reality there was no real reason for her to live. She really was useless and a waste of space.

     "Libby?"

     Libby shook her head and tuned to Ryder. He was watching her with a curious expression.

     "Sorry, what?"

     "You zoned out. I was asking what you want to eat for dinner. Maria is making soup but..."

     "Soup's fine."

     Ryder nodded and turned around to leave, catching a glimpse of her laptop. "Oh and by the way, all those victims went to the same school." And then he was gone.

      Libby stared at the now empty place, how did he know that? But she didn't have time to ponder, she searched their profiles up again and looked for their elementary schools. And slowly she worked her way through the schools. Not all of them had been in the same elementary school. They'd all been in the middle school and high school. But again college and university was different. She was quite aware of the fact she needed help. She needed to figure out who killed Uncle Daryl, he was a close friend of her father's and the best uncle she had ever known. 

      But she knew she also needed Ryder's help. This was going to be harder than she thought.

      She closed the laptop and headed towards the kitchen where Maria was standing over the stove and adding precise ingredients. Libby watched her for a few moments before turning and heading to her room to change into something more comfortable.

      As she passed Ryder's room, she saw the door was left ajar and through the slit she could see him sitting on his bed with his phone. She was a little hesitant but she needed his help and now was a good as time an any.

     Slowly she approached the door and stared at it until his voice floated through the opening.

      "Are you going to come in or just stand there?"