Chapter 30 (Edited)

Arturo had an early shift today. He stepped out his house feeling slightly more confident than usual; he had seen Midnight and survived. But now he wasn't sure if that was such a great thing. It could always mean that Midnight was keeping track of him.

     He disregarded the possibility and walked through the black, steel door of the museum. He knew that Damaria had allowed him to open the museum this once because his shift had started early. Or else she would leave it to the night guard to wait for her.

     Over the past week he worked alongside her, he realized that she was someone who moved with grace and spoke with confidence. She looked at the absolute real aspects in life and read you like a book. She was able to see straight through the souls of all people she grew to be accompanied by. And most importantly she spent time taking care of the people she loved the most.

     Arturo had tried so often to try and make friends with Ryder but he had always seemed busy or been chasing that girl around, trying to protect her from one thing or another. And sometimes watching them he realized that he should have chased his best friend; that girl that was always looking for a way to make others happy in this cruel world.

     The museum seemed so quiet and empty, almost abandoned in the morning. The high ceilings glittered as the chandeliers reflected the rays of the sun. He watched as they threw rainbows around the large lobby and created a tiny world. Arturo walked around aimlessly until he realized that he still had work to finish.

     He made his way to the security room. He was sure last night's security guard had either left or slept. He was leaning more towards the latter.

     He turned the steel handle and pushed the heavy door open. It seemed as though Stanley, from last night was wide awake and was reading one heck of a novel. He looked up when Arturo came in as smiled; a toothy grin.

     "I saw you admirin' rainbows. How was that?" He teased.

     Arturo laughed. "Very funny, Stanley. I see that you're interested in..." Arturo was hoping Stanley was reading a cheesy romantic novel but it seemed he was in fact reading about the mysteries of the Bermuda Triangle.

      "Romance ain't my genre." Stanley shook his head.

     "Whatever. You can leave now."

      Stanley laughed. "Sure thing, boss." He saluted. Being grey haired and slightly wrinkly didn't stop Stanley from still joking around with Arturo. He had know Arturo ever since he had started working at Arturo's father's mechanic's garage, way before the museum during the time Arturo was in university. But later in life he took another path.

      Stanley packed his belongings and smiled one more time before heading out. Arturo sighed and his posture fell, he looked around the room before checking all the cameras to make sure that Stanley had left and no one else had entered or was currently in the building. He had decided last night that he was going to look around Damaria's office. He knew it was wrong and if he was caught it would be worse, but he needed to know.

     Triple checking the cameras he headed out towards Damaria's office.

     The thick, black, metal door was heavy and seemed to be made as though it was a safe. Arturo knew that Damaria was the only one who had the keys. Frustrated he ran a hand through his hair. "Stupid door."

      He looked around, hoping to find any sort of pin. He ended up near the Mayan exhibit and found a safety pin Joe must've missed while cleaning up last night. Arturo grabbed the pin and ran back to the door. Jiggling the pin in the lock it took ten minutes, after many failures he finally managed to get the pin to unlock the office. He checked his surrounding before rushing into the office and shutting the door behind.