Chapter 36 (Edited)

Damaria watched her surroundings as she entered the school hallway. Her head was down, but she could still hear the whispers of the students around her. They were laughing, finding her pain funny. All of them were cowards to her. Especially the boy that was heading her way.

     Jonathan walked with arrogance, as soon as high school came and he was recruited into the football team, she had lost a friend and they had gained a player.

      Damaria was tired of dealing with all the hate, at home and at school. If they hated her so much, why didn't they just kill her? Why wouldn't someone kill her? Why couldn't the universe kill her? What did she have to live for?

      She clutched her books tighter as she headed for the only place where there was never enough time to waste on speaking or snickering behind her back.

     The math class was quiet as Damaria entered late, as usual. She was well aware of the glare she was receiving from her teacher. She knew that a detention slip was to be written and she was to pay it.

      Mr.Kane never let her go.  She made it to her desk and waited for him to call her back, just to make her pay for wasting his time.

      "Miss. Small I believe a detention is deserved for being late, again."

      Damaria nodded slowly and walked back to the front of the room, she felt a pull on her shirt as she walked by some of the students. They were willing to snicker behind her backs and physically attack. Anger flared through her mind and she was sure she was going to break something. 

      Grabbing the slip from Mr.Kane's hand she walked back to her desk as sat down without a word. As he continued the lesson. She looked around, the students weren't paying him any attention anyways. There was chatter and note passing and she was well aware of the dire consequences but it seemed Mr.Kane was deliberately ignoring them.

     She clenched her fists. They were allowed to do as they wish and if she came late it was a detention.

      She wasn't going to put up with all this nonsense anymore, she was going to stand up to the next person who made the mistake of taking her as a piece of -

      "Hey! Psst!"

      Damaria turned around to see the only person she hoped would be dead right now.

      "Hey! Meet me outside after school in the football field."

      "In your dreams."

      "I thought we were friends?" Jonathan had a goofy smile on his face.

      "You thought wrong." She gritted through her teeth.

      "Don't be so rude. You know we are-"

      "I will never speak to you again! Do you hear me?!" Damaria yelled and then stood up and ran out of the room.

     She was done taking orders, done being beaten and officially done with this school.

      "Hey, Damaria wait!" A voice called.

       She never stopped.

      "Listen, I didn't understand what you meant back there."

      Damaria turned around and came barreling towards him like a tornado. "You have no idea, huh?" She fumed. "Arturo Jonathan I do not care. And I never will. You are as good as dead to me. I will never speak to you again." With one final breath she turned around and walked out.