Chapter 10 (Edited)

Kurt Small rested on the hospital bed. He had been diagnosed with lung cancer after almost thirty years of smoking. He only laughed when he had heard the news. He knew none of his children would come to visit him and he would soon return to his beloved wife.

It was strange to think that a man with such little was still able to live till his sixties almost seventies. Kurt had never believed in fate or destiny, he always believed in what he wanted. And he had done everything he possibly could to get what he wanted, every time. Though for the past few years he had started to feel as though the alcohol wasn't enough to drown his sorrows. He had soon realized that the medication he was given was preventing the alcohol from affecting him. So he stopped taking them.

That is what led him to lying in a hospital bed, watching the small boxed television in the top of the room. The news station playing the story of the woman who was recently murdered in a city, where crime was minimum and people only cared for themselves. Another thing that Kurt had always believed in. Every human for themselves. 

Kurt was broken away from his thoughts with an interruption. 

The door to the room creaked open and a petite nurse with almond brown hair walked in, her uniform was pressed clean and wrinkle free and she had a bright smile on her face. Kurt only glared as she replaced his water and a tray of food in front of him. She proceeded to clean parts of the room before turning to him.

"Would you like anything else, sir?" Kurt glared in her direction. "Okay, but if you need anything at all, just press the red button." The nurse walked out of the room, the smile on her face never faltering.

Kurt despised people who always saw the wonders and beauty of the world. He hated how people fell in love. He learned the hard way that love was just another form of a weapon if used correctly. He knew that if he had loved his children any longer then he would've been hurt in the end and would've hurt him back. That's what happened when he loved his wife, Willa had only broken his heart and then further shattered it into pieces. And he hated her for that. But he loved her. And he suffered through that everyday while she was at peace. 

The pictures on the screen became a blur and Kurt realized that the footage of the woman's husband was being replayed on the box television, just like it had been yesterday. He couldn't take it anymore, people died, loved ones are taken away, move on with life. For the love of God. The people of this city are obsessed with making a news story last for a while. As if their lives are too dull. 

The door to the room creaked open for the second time that hour and in walked the balding doctor. His eyes were a strange green but kind and his skin had a few wrinkles with age. His white coat made Kurt feel like a science experiment but his joyous smile out shone the depression of the place.

"Hello Mr. Small and how are you doing today?" Dr. Roger smiled. This was a regular routine. Kurt was used to the greeting and then the questions.  

Kurt nodded, he wasn't about let some weird doctor tell him the same news he had heard from countless nurses and the the people working at the old folks home. He also wasn't in the mood to answer any of Dr.Roger's questions or 'concerns'.

Dr. Roger wasn't fazed by the lack of response he received from Kurt. Though he still didn't understand how it felt to be in Kurt's place with no family visiting him and nothing to do but hear news about his fragile condition. Deteriorating everyday. 

After Dr. Roger had spoken and checked on Kurt he headed to the receptionist. He was hoping she was aware of any relative Kurt might have. He walked up to the young woman who wore a light blue uniform and had her hair in a braid. She was shuffling through the files, when Roger called for her attention.

"Hello Dr. Roger what can I help you with?" She asked.

"Caitlin I need you to search for any relatives that Kurt Small room 322 might have. I think a familiar face might help with the stress."

"Yes, sir." Caitlin searched through a few files and stumbled upon a man named Lance Small. She dialed the number.

---

Kurt closed his eyes. He was attempting to relax and relieve whatever stress the doctor suggested he had. Kurt knew that he was speaking a load of bogus, he wasn't really concerned for him. Roger just wanted him to fell insignificant. He's probably out there laughing about my condition. Kurt couldn't care less. All he wanted to do was drink and forget. But he wasn't going to be able to do either.

     The sound of silence was comforting and Kurt enjoyed the short while in it, until he heard the sound of a chair scrap against the floor. The sound made Kurt irritated but he didn't move, his muscles were tense and he was waiting for a voice. After a long while of silence Kurt sneaked a look. He saw a face he hadn't seen in a long time and was hoping to not see for a while longer.

     "What do you what?" Kurt rasped, his throat lacked water and he was to stubborn to admit that he needed it to survive.

     Lance picked up the glass of water and handed it to his father. He knew it was probably a bad idea to come here especially after what Damaria and him had discussed earlier. But the nurse and the doctor had both sounded desperate and genuinely concerned. He didn't know whether to speak with Damaria about the suggestion first or not.

     In the end he had asked Gemma what he should do. She had simply stated that he should do what he feels is beneficial in the long run. He realized he'd at least come to apologize. Though he saw no fault in what he had done, but for Damaria and himself he needed to get it off his chest.

     "I'm not here because I want something. I'm here because I need to give something." Lance leaned back in his chair after Kurt had glared at the glass of water.

     "Well get on with it! I'm not going to be alive forever!" Kurt was becoming impatient with his hooligan of a son.

     "I came here to give you my apologies. Simply for leaving."

      "You think I care. You think I'll be like the other fathers who accept your apologies with open arms. Well you're wrong son, because I stopped loving you a long time ago."

     Lance knew there was no point in trying to argue with his father, but he felt the need to make him feel less responsible for Damaria and himself leaving. Even though he had done it for reasons of their safety. Lance stood up quietly and placed the chair back against the wall.

     "Run you coward!" His father yelled. "Your a waste of space and life, Lance just like that pathetic excuse for a human, you call a sister!"

     Lance's blood boiled he hated him for speaking of Damaria like that. He hated how he didn't defend  her, instead walked faster out of the room.He couldn't handle another second of that man bad mouthing Damaria. It was all his fault they had to pick up and leave to live in peace. 

     Dr. Roger was waiting outside with a few nurses. His eyes were expectant, as was his facial expression.

     Lance shook his head and walked out the hospital. He vowed never to comeback.

---

     The room was dark. The TV was playing in the corner but the noise was just a blur of different sounds mixed together and  his tray of food was settled along his  bed, still untouched. A lone figure stood in the shadows. Their heart clenching with hate but slight pity. Pity for a human who had so little love in their heart and passed the same hatred on. 

     The only sound in the cramped room was Kurt's breathing and the heart monitor, beating rhythmically.  The figure watched the heart monitor, it had been so long since they had seen their father. The figure sighed, she hated to admit it but she felt slight pity for the man that now didn't even receive respect from his own children. And anger for making her feel this way and for treating his children with the hate that they didn't know how to accept. For not being there for them when they needed a father the most. 

     She rested her hand on the black purse she carried and slowly pulled out a silver watch. Her name was engraved into it along with a small message. It was a gift from her brother. A gift she would never lose. A gift which meant the world to her.