Chapter 39 (Edited)

Bradley smiled. Edith was still cooking in the front of the kitchen. The brown haired man had a small crush on the blonde woman. He watched as she whisked that last batch of eggs for the egg salad sandwich she was going to make.

The restaurant was about to close and he had to finish this last order. He was sure his boss would make sure he cleaned the kitchen, but he stayed back to be with Edith for a few extra moments.

Though the two were just friends, Bradley had come to accept that maybe she only needed time. He, after all, only had a crush. It wasn't as if he'd ever liked someone. Feelings were something he wasn't good with and most often then not he'd make a mess of himself when trying to accept them.

Bradley took a deep breath before walking over to Edith, he was trying to stay calm but he knew he was going to mess this up. Running a hand through his hair and checking how he looked in one of the saucepans hanging from the rack he walked over to her.

"Hey, Edith." The green eyed, blonde haired woman looked up and smiled. She adjusted her glasses before giving a small wave.

"Hey, what's up?" Her voice was soft and calming to his ears.

"Nothing, I was just wondering if you're almost done." He blurted. He cursed himself after, how stupid could he be? All he had to do was ask her if she wanted to come to the movies with him and his friends tomorrow and he couldn't even do that.

"Yeah, just let me send this last order and then I'll help you clean."

Bradley was surprised by the offer and almost declined but stopped himself. Maybe her staying back would give him more time to ask. He could finally build up the courage. Smiling slowly he nodded. "Sure, that'd be great. Thanks."

"Don't thank me yet." She laughed. Bradley liked her laugh, it was loud and rang throughout the kitchen. He liked the way she never let anyone talk her down. She always stood up for herself and others. He couldn't believe that she wasn't married yet.

Nodding he said, "I'll take my order out right now and then come and take yours. The last few people are taking to-go orders."

"Okay, no problem." She smiled, her bright twinkling smile.

Bradley walked back to the counter where he was previously cooking and gabbed the take out order that was already wrapped and headed for the cash counter. The man was waiting, dressed in a black business suit, impatiently on his phone.

Bradley approached the man and rubbed his hands on his apron before handing the bag over and getting ready to total the price.

The man took and the bag and rolled his eyes. "Finally."

"That'd come to $45.56, cash or credit?"

"Credit." The man handed his card over and Bradley swiped it before handing it back with the receipt.

"Have a nice day."

"What ever is left of the day." The man muttered.

Bradley rolled his eyes, some customers were so rude. He couldn't understand the cause of their bitterness. Bradley headed back to the kitchen to see it was empty. He turned around to see that Edith was nowhere in sight. Dread started filing his insides, what if she decided to leave him? What if she was called somewhere? What if she thought he was weird? What if she lied to him? Bradley was becoming desperate, this was exactly what he was afraid of.

In bitterness, Bradley started moping the floor and muttering under his breath. It was obvious she never liked him, she was just playing with his emotions. He put the mop away and started washing the dishes. He needed to get his mind off her. He was stupid to believe she liked him.

Half way through washing the dishes, he thought of calling her. So he turned the tap off and wiped his hands on the dish towel before going to the locker room to look for his phone. He opened the locker to see if he'd left his phone there. But it was nowhere to be seen. He became frustrated and pulled at his hair. Why was nothing going right for him?

Before he could get anymore frustrated he searched through his locker for his last few cigarettes. He needed to take a break. It would be best if he took a couple of minutes to cool down. He searched his locker again, then his pockets and then his bag but he still couldn't find them. Instead of breaking down he rushed outside before he blew up.

The cool wind blew through his choppy hair cut, he'd given himself earlier. He sat on the cold brick ground, maybe it was best if he didn't smoke today. Maybe he could quit for Edith. She never liked it anyway.

Resting his arms on his knees he looked towards the streets, where traffic was quieter and stores were closing. Soon the roads would be the quietest ever in the city. He was well aware that during these times, especially with the murderer on the loose, it would be safer to head home earlier. Sighing he leaned his head back against the stone cold wall.

"What a pathetic sight." A voice taunted.

Bradley's head snapped up. "Who said that?"

"You don't recognize my voice?" Midnight spoke.

"I don't even know who you are."

"You've already forgotten? Wow time flies doesn't it?" Midnight mused.

"Look I want no trouble, my life's not that great at the moment-"

"I guess you deserve it-"

"I've never hurt anyone-"

Midnight ignored him. "I guess you deserve it for ruining the lives of other people. Karma."

"What do you want?"

Midnight threw Bradley's cellphone and his smokes in front of him. "Well for one, I'd love to take your life."

Bradley's heartbeat sped up. "Wha...what...why?" He scrambled to stand up.

"I don't really have time to explain, but in simple terms, I guess for revenge. Oh wait who am I kidding, exactly for revenge. You're just another pain-" Midnight let out a wicked chuckle.

"I don't even know you, who the hell are you?" Bradley yelled.

Midnight stepped out of the shadows and Bradley stumbled back. "You're not supposed to be here, you...you died." He stammered.

"No, I made you believe that, Bradley Arsen." Midnight took a step closer. "And now you're going to pay for all those years of torment."

In a flash, a knife was stabbed deep into Bradley's fragile heart. He stumbled back and gasped as he watched Midnight pull the knife out of his chest and wipe it on his apron. Bradley blinked and in a flash Midnight was gone.

The only sound that he heard before everything died was a high pitched scream; Edith. He could feel her pat something on his chest.

Then everything went black.

---------------------

Hola guys. Wow I don't really like the way this chapter came out. I wanted it to be different but for now I guess it's okay.

Vote and comment! :)