Chapter 31 (Edited)

This chapter is dedicated to @spiritanimall and @youtaketheNAMES thanks for the lovely comments.
     The star filled sky was enchanting. Cecil was just finishing her last class at the university of Milestone. The night was young and Cecil was still looking out the large window while her professor droned on about philosophy. Cecil had no idea why she ever took this course. She had decided to became a veterinarian but things hadn't gone to plan.

     The course passed by quickly and Cecil was on her way to her car. Parked underneath a street lamp; the black beauty was the fourth car her parents had bought her after graduating college. The night was cold and Cecil could see her breath. She unlocked her car and threw her belongings inside; before sitting herself.

While waiting for the car to warm up, she turned on the radio. She was sure another one of Justin Bieber or Drake's song were going to be on. Recently that's all that was coming on the radio.

After the feeling in her fingers returned she started the car and headed home. It way past ten o'clock and she knew that the area around her house lacked street lamps.

Cecil was driving calmly for half the way home, when the radio stopped. A minutes passed and she waited. Then two, three, four. After twenty minutes Cecil completely forgot.

"Cecil has been a very bad girl." A static, raspy and high voice came from the radio.

Startled Cecil drove the car off the road and almost swerved into a tree. She reached for the radio and switched it off. Taking a few minutes to catch her breath, then she started the car up again. It was quiet all the way home. There were no more interruptions but it was later than usual. Almost 10:10pm, she went over the speed to get home. She'd already heard many stories of Midnight and wasn't going to let them be ignored. She'd watched enough horror movies to know when things would start to get bad.

The warm, yellow, firefly like lights emitted from the mansion. Cecil was sure that her parents weren't home yet. Her thoughts wandered to the last time she'd seen them. Somewhere around last summer. It had been almost half a year and still no contact. The only way she knew they were even alive was the constant loan that was being anonymously paid and the allowance she received for food, water and clothing. Plus all the house bills were being paid.

Growing up she gotten used to the lack of attention from her parents. She had always tried to please them, but for reasons she had yet to understand, they found work and each other more interesting. It was almost as if she was a burden to them.

Entering the house, the housekeeper smiled. Mrs. Guinevere was always waiting for Cecil. Ever since she was in diapers. It was something Cecil often looked forward too. She was glad that the old woman had kept up tradition. But today was different the woman was holding a plate of chocolate chip cookies and a glass of milk on a tray. She seemed to hold a watery smile and was anxiously waiting for Cecil.

In a rush and with sudden anxiety Cecil made her way towards the woman. She was looking anywhere for danger or a threat. She even looked for any form of pain or bruising or cuts on the old woman's face and arms.

"Mrs.G what happened? Are you alright? Did someone break in? Are you sick? Did mum and dad come home?" Cecil threw the questions out like a boxer throwing punches to his opponent.

"No dear. I just have news." Mrs.G kept her features calm but her smile remained watery. Almost on the verge of tears.