Chapter 18 (Edited)

The hotel lobby was quiet. Rush hour had passed and Damaria was swiftly walking inside to speak with the manager. She had yet to see him. As she approached the receptionist, the woman smiled and grabbed the phone.

     "Mr. Kingston Miss.Allegra is here to see you." The woman nodded before turning to Damaria. "He'll be down in a minute."

     "Thank you." Damaria walked over to the sofas settled in the middle of the lobby for waiting people. She crossed her ankles and waited patiently. She looked around observing the different activities the hotel provide and the care the staff was trying to give.

     "Miss. Allegra?" Damaria turned around to some face to face with Stefan Kingston. The used to be head security at her museum.

     "Stefan?"

     "That's me, dear." He gave her a crooked smile.

     Damaria stood frozen until anger over came her whole body. She was planning on firing him but he had retired and now he was working for her brother. How had her brother not noticed or seen his past records. Damaria clenched her fists and was about to speak when Stefan beat her to it.

     "How about we go to my office. I believe you have a lot of questions." He turned around without waiting for her response and walked away.

     Damaria followed behind without a single sound. She wasn't about to create a scene. Plus she needed a little time to get over the shock. One thing she learned over time was, even bad people can get good things.

     When they reached his office, it seemed new. Very clean and everything was put in its place. She observed everything, each inch of the room. Stefan walked over to his desk and sat down on the black leather office chair. As he pulled himself closer to his desk, his belly was barely skimming the edges. He rested his hands on the table and watched as Damaria narrower her eyes at little things.

     "When you're done taking notes we can talk." He said in a joyous voice. She knew he was teasing but it got to her. She turned to him and took a seat in front of the desk. He smiled but Damaria only scowled, she had a strange feeling.

     "What are you doing here?"

     "What ever do you mean, deary?"

     "You know what I am talking about Stefan. You must have done something to get a job here, at my brother's hotel."

     "Yes, I applied for the job. And look, I got the job." The old man was calm, but his voice was rising as he was trying to prove himself innocent.

     "How did you go from being head of security to a manager of a hotel?" Damaria asked.

     There was a moment of silence where Stefan contemplated what Damaria asked. She knew he was stalling, but she was surprised when he suddenly stood up. Slowly he walked around the mahogany desk and around Damaria. He bent down so he was right next to her ear, "You see Damaria, I don't think Lance would let me out of his sight. I know a little more about your...past." Damaria froze, she was afraid, an emotion  she hated, it made her feel vulnerable. But what she wanted to say was stuck in her throat, she wasn't able to retort. Not knowing what to say, Damaria sat there frozen.

     Suddenly the phone rang. Damaria didn't even hear it, Stefan walked forward and picked the phone up. "Hello...yes...okay...I'm on my way." He put the phone down and turned to Damaria, who was still frozen. "I'm afraid my dear, but we'll reschedule this meeting." Damaria nodded and stood up, walking out, she was still in a slight fear state.

---

     Ryder hid behind the wall as Damaria stepped out of the office. He heard part of the conversation, but he didn't think his aunt would like that. He stood in the shadows waiting for her to pass before following her.