Chapter 37 (Edited)

Arturo entered his run down apartment. The only light came from his phone flashlight. He stumbled in and tried to get through the pile of laundry he had yet to clean.

     Feeling around for the light switch he flicked it on and proceeded to enter the messy apartment. Being too tired from work he didn't bother to clean anything.

     He entered the kitchen and grabbed left over pizza from the fridge before heading to the living room and plopping down on the couch. He was sure that the numerous piles of clothes and random cluttering objects were still pretty clean. So technically his apartment was clean.

      Arturo didn't bother moving the old box of pizza from the table and put his feet on the table. Resting back he kicked a pile of clothes to find the remote.

     His frustration grew as he realized it was sitting on the far bookshelf. The object in question was at edge, was breaking, he was sure that he'd need to buy a new one. Another thing to add to the growing list of things that he needs to fix in this apartment. This was one of the things he hated about going undercover.

     Taking a deep breath, he stood up to get the remote when a voice stopped him.

      "My my, little Arturo is breaking down. What a sight." Midnight spoke.

     "I'm not in the mood." Arturo grunted.

     "I see. Did I catch you at a bad time?" Midnight mused.

     "You are bad timing."

     "You know for a police officer your grammar isn't well."

     "Are you a murder or my tenth grade English teacher?" Arturo shot back.

     "Confident are we? Not worried about what I do to the living?" Midnight smirked.

     "Not at the moment."

     "Did you really think I would let you get away with being a police officer under my watchful gaze? You must be pretty stupid."

     "I was counting on it."

      "I see."

     "Let me guess, you don't believe me?" Arturo didn't move from the couch. He had placed his feet back on the ground.

"What I think does not matter. In fact I know that this might be our second last encounter." Midnight said, wiping the dust from Arturo's book shelf.

"What are you really here for?"

"I don't appreciate people unmasking me. I much prefer to not be seen."

Arturo rolled his eyes. "What do you want me to do?"

Midnight's glowing eyes turned to him through the darkness. "Run."

---

The museum was busy with the opening of the new exhibit. Arturo could see Ryder and Damaria standing near the front where Paige spoke about the new exhibit.

Arturo was supposed to be securing the area but he couldn't seem to concentrate today. His mind was going crazy and he couldn't comprehend why he had even bothered to show up for work.

Now he had two problems; a girl he wanted to help and a killer who was hell bent on killing him.

He almost laughed at the strangeness of the situation. A few year ago he probably wouldn't have had a thought like this.

"Mr. Larsen? Miss Allegra wants to speak with you." A lanky spectacled man came toward him. His unruly curly hair was going everywhere.

"Of course..."