Chapter 14 (Edited)

Ryder knew something was said between his father and his aunt when they came back and Damaria looked a little more alert. She took a seat next to him and the conversations continued.

As the evening went by, Ryder felt weird. Libby was constantly speaking with his mum. She was fitting in well and yet he still hated her. And he knew for sure that this was not going to be a love hate relationship. He was not going to fall in love with Libby Ames, no matter what. Besides he was too young for love or so his mother always warned him.

As dinner was being set his father and aunt were still a little quieter than usual, Ryder tried to ignore it all. He was still upset with his parents for making such a move without asking for his opinion. When the they were called to dinner, Ryder took his time. He wasn't here to obey his parent's every command if they couldn't simply tell him anything.

When he reached the dinning room, Libby was seated where he usually sat. His annoyance grew.

He glared at her and was about to open his mouth when Damaria called him over. "Ryder come sit here." Ryder glared at her but her glare was much stronger. Slowly he dragged his feet towards the empty chair next to her. He was sure that she had seen that he was about to start another argument.

When he finally sat down, dinner was being served. And the chatter at the table died down, everyone was so hungry that soon there was only pin drop silence. Ryder stared at his food, he wasn't in the mood to eat and as he looked around he noticed Damaria was trying hard to eat her food, she seemed reluctant to eat what lay in front of her but yet tried.

"So how is school going?" He knew as soon his father asked this question, what he really was asking was; are your grade in the nineties?

"School is going very well Mr.Robinson." Libby replied. Great she has manners too.

"And what about you, son?"

Ryder to turned to his father. "Fine."

"And how are your marks?" Lance was tough on questioning Ryder.

"Fine."

"And what does fine mean?" Lance's voice was hard.

"Honey, maybe not at the dinner table." Gemma turned to Lance to stop the questioning, resting a hand on his arm.

"He should learn to answer the question properly and with full sentences." Lance turned to Ryder. "Looks like your English mark isn't doing so well." Lance sneered.

"Lance stop." Everyone turned to look at Damaria. Her eyes were hard and cold as ice.

Lance froze mid sentence and noticed a slight glassy look on her eyes, he knew only he could see. A wave of regret washed over him and he took a deep breath before going back to the eating.

A silence settled over the table. The only sound hear was of the cutlery and the maids and other help packing and cleaning the house. Lance was hesitant to speak again. He never realised how far he had taken that conversation, but worse he didn't realise how much he started to sound like his father with that tone. His booming voice rang out through the house and he suddenly felt an overwhelming urge to cry.

The dinner continued in silence a little while longer until dessert was brought out.

"Gemma who made this cheesecake? I might ask for the recipe." Damaria smiled.

"Are you thinking of cooking?"

"No I was thinking of baking." Damaria let out a small laugh. "I was planning on giving the recipe to Maria, she could probably make it better than me."