Chapter 25 (Edited)

Damaria took her books out of her locker for math class. She was already partly late and now she was planning on ditching but then she remembered that if she didn't make it through high school then she couldn't get a job and she'd be stuck with Kurt for the rest of her life. She would continued to fight for her survival everyday. Her hands trembled as she placed her books in her soaking bag.

     As she closed her locker door, she heard footsteps racing down the hallway. Her heart beat escalated for a minute before she turned to find Jonathan running towards her. His crazy curly hair was pushed back because of the wind and she laughed as he headed towards her. She had become friends with the crazy boy in grade six and now in grade seven they were in the same class. She threw her head back and laughed. He was her only real friend. 

      "You're going to be late for class." He yelled.

      "Yeah I know." She smiled. "What are you doing?"

      Walking backwards he answered. "I have to pick some forms up from the office."  Then he turned and ran further down the hall.

      Damaria laughed and made it to class. Mrs. Wallcraft glared at her.  The class stared at her as she stood shifting from foot to foot. Thirty pairs of eyes judged her.

      "Why are you late Miss Small?" Mrs. Wallcraft's stern voice pierced the air.

      "I was held back in my last class." Damaria made up an excuse. What really happened was much worse. She had been trapped by Cecil and Ashlyn. They had stolen not only her money but her school notes and then dunked her bag in the toilet. Then they'd locked her in the girls bathroom and turned the lights off. The darkness surrounded Damaria and she could feel things touching her and hands grabbing her and knives cutting her skin. She had missed her last class as well. She didn't come out of the bathroom until another group of girls needed to use it. But they hadn't noticed her leave or even her presence when she was inside.

       Mrs. Wallcraft glared at Damaria and shooed her to her seat. Then she continued the lesson. Damaria took her seat at the back where Mrs. Wallcraft had placed her. She knew her teacher didn't like her, but no teacher ever had.

       A few minutes later Jonathan walked in and Mrs. Wallcraft smiled as he handed her the forms before taking a seat in the front. Mrs. Wallcraft had purposely kept them apart. Jonathan turned and smiled at Damaria before returning to his work. She nodded her head and started taking notes.

---

      After school, Damaria waited outside for Lance. He went to the high school right next door. He promised to pick her up in his new used car he bought with his money last year. He had hid the car at his friend's house, in fear of letting their father see it.

      Damaria sat on the small wooden bench in front of the school steps and waited for him.

     She clutched her backpack and swung her legs under the bench. She wasn't aware of the group of kids staring at her. She wasn't aware of what games they were planning. Her focus was on finding her brother's car. She was excited to ride in it. Though her brother's friend Logan would always tag along and throw snide remarks her way that Lance thought were jokes.

      Damaria felt a cold slimy substance drip over her and she threw her bag and screamed jumping away from the bench. She turned around to come face to face with Bradley. He was holding a bucket of what used to be full of mud. Damaria glared at him. From the corner of her eye she could see Jonathan watching quietly.