Chapter 34 (Edited)

"You think Dexter and Orion are suspects? What proof do you have?" Ryder asked. He was watching Libby as she searched through the abundance of year books they had found in the storage room. Ryder had managed to break in without his aunt knowing. It was especially easy because his aunt had not arrived home until later.

     Now as he looked through the windows of the library and watched Libby fly through the year books, he wasn't so sure he wanted to find out why these victims were specifically chosen. What meaning did they posses? What had they done? Why had they not worried when hearing about the first murder?

     In the back of his mind, Ryder was aware that not everyone took the murder so seriously. Especially in this big city, people often left one or two people being killed as just an event. Now that three people had been killed, the city was starting to get nervous and edgy.

Ryder had decided he was going to keep an eye out on Libby. Even of that meant leaving his friends and trailing her. He was aware what the consequences from both sides would be but he was willing to take them. At least that's what he convinced himself to think. Now all he had to do was stay strong.

He sighed, tiredly and rubbed a hand over his face. He hadn't gotten much sleep last night because his aunt had come home around past midnight. He was worried that some thing happened to her. At midnight he was about to call her, but he gave her a few more minutes.

His ears picked up every door that opened and closed till she arrived home. He never realised how much he depended on his aunt. And that was when he made a promise to himself that if she ever needed help, he would be there no matter what.

Libby turned to him and shook her head, annoyed. "You know I don't need your help. Not that you're doing anything anyways."

"Yeah well I just thought of something."

"What?" Libby didn't put her book down.

"You never told me what happened outside the museum that day."

Libby froze in mid turn of a page.

"You're still supporting a black cheek and somewhat swollen eye, that you so unsuccessfully, tried to cover. Not only that it seems that you've been hiding behind that book or any book the entire day."

"Your point?" Libby gritted.

"What's going on?" Ryder grabbed her book and placed it down.

"I'm trying to find out who killed my father's best friend." Libby crossed her arms defiantly.

"Well then you better hire a detective. You're never going to find him." Ryder smirked and quirked an eyebrow.

"How do you know?" Libby glared.

"Because - wait, oh my gosh."

"What?" Libby was startled by Ryder's sudden outburst.

"Why didn't I think of it before? I'm
so stupid." Ryder smacked his forehead.

"What? What is it?!" Libby exclaimed, annoyed by his unresponsive manner.

"Isn't it weird that a new security guard showed up and is always trailing my aunt?" Ryder waited for Libby to catch on. When she stared at him blankly he sighed. "I mean, it's weird that he shows up and before that Stefan quits and gets another job. It seems it was a little setup. No?"

"Ryder that's what people do, they leave a job so others can take over." Libby' shook her head and went to grab her book.

"No, I know. All I'm saying is Stefan was ready to retire, in fact he almost quit the job if Damaria hadn't fired him. Plus he was one lazy-"