Chapter 42 (Edited)

Arturo knew that the only way he could gain Damaria's trust would be through either Ryder or Libby. And since the brown haired girl in question was absent. And was also much smarter than she seemed to be, there was no way he was going to ask her or even speak with her about anything regarding Damaria. The only person Arturo could speak with would be Ryder.

Arturo spotted Ryder on the far side of the museum. He seemed to be giving a tour to a group of younger kids from the local elementary school, probably another donation Damaria supports. He watched as Ryder was keeping a watchful eye on everyone and everything. He seemed unease yet at easy at the same time.

In some part of his heart, Arturo knew that Damaria cared so much for the two teens she'd give up everything. And he knew that the other two would do exactly the same. And that's where everything would fall apart.

Arturo looked around to see that Damaria had yet to arrive back from checking up on the hotel. So he took this time to go and check her office. Did he know what he was doing? Not really. Was he sure this was a great idea? Definitely not. Did he have a choice? Yep. Is he the smartest man on earth? Not even close.

So that's how he ended up inside Damaria's office looking through her drawers and not feeling any remorse. Especially not when he realised that there were now three envelopes and only two were opened. Only the recent ones.

He found that certainly suspicious. He wondered if Damaria either forgot or feared for what lied in the envelopes. The latter seemed highly unlikely, given Damaria's personality now.

Instead of questioning anything further he continued to look through her drawers. She didn't have much to hide except for several sheets of paper regarding museum issues. And a few private deal also regarding museum issues.

This was just like last time. She hadn't changed at all. He looked through that drawer one more time before closing it. Crawling over to the second drawer he looked around and found many more useless sheets about the museum's condition. He then proceeded to dig deeper until he manage to find a small book.

At first he wasn't interested until, he read the inscription on the side.

To my real sister. Family is not labeled by blood.

Arturo stopped. Damaria had a sibling. Of course, who else would be Ryder's parents. The thought hadn't exactly come to mind until now. There was a little more to Damaria than what met the eye.

All these years, Arturo never noticed how Damaria never allowed him over. Or never called him. Or never spoke of her family. He had always assumed that she lived in large house with just her parents. How wrong he was. He couldn't even believe it. Deep down he knew better. Because if she was rich and her parents were with her then they would've protected her from the evil which occurred at school for so many years.

He was about to open the little notebook when his mind spoke. If it belonged to him, would he be happy with someone going through it? If he had a deep personal secret, would he appreciate other people trying to find it? If his mind ever said something it didn't mean, would he be okay with someone reading it? No to all of the above.

But Art you're doing it for the good of the people.

Is he really?

Arturo couldn't decide. He needed more time. And at the moment the last thing he had was time. So carefully he put the book back with all the papers and snuck out of the room. He headed towards where he last saw Ryder to see he was now nowhere nearby. But Libby was just rounding the corner.