Chapter 17 (Edited)

Ryder walked back to Damaria's office. She was seated at her desk but this time so was another person on the opposite side. Ryder entered the room and sat himself down on the couch.

     "...you have no historian." The other man spoke.

     "We have plenty Mr.Romanoff. But if you would like to work here, you will have to work for it."

       "And how am I supposed to do that?"

      "Simple, you work as an intern and then if you are doing well, I will allow for you to take our last position as a historian. That is the best I can do."

     "I understand. So when am I supposed to start?"

     "How about tomorrow. I see you have just arrived from out of town."

      "Yes I came about four or five days ago. But jet lag is still with me."

     "Well I suppose this meeting is over."

     Orion stood up. "Yes thank you." He turned to exit the office when he stopped because of Damaria's voice.

     "And Mr.Romanoff next time please schedule an appointment before showing up. You may have messed the schedule of many people here."

     Orion nodded and left. Even after working here previously he was still slightly unnerved by Damaria's hard gaze and her blunt attitude. She seemed to not sense her demeaning attitude at times but it also seemed she never meant it.

     As soon as Orion left, Damaria sighed and turned to Ryder. "How was your day?"

     "Why did Libby stay home?"

      "She did not. She came to work with me."

     "You know what I mean."

     "Well I need you to more specific, please."

      "Why did she not go to school?"

      "Now Ryder I believe that is her business."

     "I asked. She didn't say anything."

     "Did you pick up the sign?"

      "What sign?"

       "Maybe the one saying, please I would rather not talk about it?"

       Ryder stared at his aunt. He never realized she was speaking about how maybe Libby did have something to hide. Maybe this whole time she was hoping he'd pick up the sign so she wouldn't have to explain why she never showed up. He felt stupid but angry at the same time. He had his life basically laid out in front of Libby and she was able to hide everything.

"It's not fair."

Damaria turned to her nephew. "How so?"

"Dad called her to dinner then grilled me about my life in front of her and then she got see and speak with mum about god knows what. She probably knows my whole life and all I know is her name and what school she does to."

"I am aware. But your aspects of life are a little different type of personal. Where as maybe Libby might be hiding something that can get her legally in trouble, or she is emotionally unstable or-"

"Okay okay I understand. There are millions of possibilities." Ryder rolled his eyes.

Damaria nodded. "I am glad you are thinking outside of the box."

Ryder turned to his aunt. "I'm going to get something to eat. Do you want something?"

Damaria shook her head. "No thank you. But please take Libby or a couple of friends. At the moment going alone around the city is not safe."

"Sure no problem. But I am not taking Libby though." Ryder waved his aunt and then went to find a few friends wiling to go to Chico's Yummy Burger place. He knew he was being irrational but he wasn't in the mood to speak with Libby what's her face. He stomped out of the room only to find Libby speaking with Orion. He remembered him from when be used to work here. Orion was just a few years older than them but he was still a good looking guy. That was one of the reason Ryder hated him. He would always sweet talk anyone around him. As he passed by Libby and Orion talking he realized that Libby was not under his charm. In fact it was other way around, Orion was trying to talk to Libby while she was sorting the files for the recent events coming up.

     "...so you see they need me here. I'm the best historian. I've learned from the best and now I am the best."

     "Hmm...that's really nice Orion." Libby nodded.

     Before Orion could reply Ryder was already out of earshot. He was a little surprised that Orion didn't notice the lack of interest from Libby. But he ignored it, someone had to put that egotistical human in his place.

     Ryder stood outside on the phone calling one his friends to see if they wanted to grab lunch. But all of their phones seemed to be off. He called several times before he finally have up. He had two options, go get Libby or go alone and not tell Damaria.

     He knew his aunt would be disappointed in him if she figured out. But he wasn't in the mood to speak with Libby. Then another option appeared, take Orion. Though that made him cringe, he knew it was better than Libby and getting a lecture from his aunt.

He slowly walked back into the busy museum and headed to where he ha last seen Libby and Orion. As he reached the front desk he realized that Orion was no longer there. He looked around before looking to Libby.

"Hey did you see Orion?"

Libby didn't look up and answered stiffly. "He went to speak with Paige. Said something about fighting and fixing things."

"Oh." Ryder watched Libby for a few minutes before she cleared her throat.

"Are you going to keep staring at me? Do you not have anything better to do?"

"The attitude is not appreciated." Ryder sneered.

"Are you my father?" Libby looked up. Her eyes were hard and her glare was dark.

"Whatever." Ryder walked away and went to go find Orion. He didn't need to speak with Libby. She was being a pain.

     As he headed towards the staff room to see if Paige and Orion were in there, he noticed Dexter standing in a corner in one of the display rooms. He was speaking rapidly on the phone with wild gestures and his face contorted into one of pain when something foul was said. Ryder watched until he felt the need to move before Dexter became aware. He turned around to find Orion, only to see Paige storming out of the staff room.

     "...I told you to leave me alone."

     Orion came swiftly walking behind her. "And I told you she still wants to speak with you."

     "We'll tell her I'm done. You can't keep bringing my personal problems to work." She turned around and poked his chest.

     Orion shrugged. "I'm not. But outside you don't listen to me."

     "Damaria is going to get upset if we cause a scene."

     "I didn't even start working here. She can't fire me."

     "But she can fire me." Paige stomped away, just as Damaria's office door opened. She pulled her sunglasses out ad headed out. But as she reached the front entrance Ryder came up behind but Dexter was the one to stop her.

     "Damaria you have to listen to me."

     "I am busy Mr. Blaze. I have somewhere to be. So please excuse me." Damaria walked around but Dexter pushed her back.

     "No you don't understand. It's dangerous out there." Dexter was persistent and his persistence became harsh.

     "Please remove yourself. Or I will call security."

     Dexter moved aside. "I warned you."

     "Thank you." Damaria sighed but stopped when she felt a presence. She turned around but found no one there. Instead she walked out and towards the hotel.