What Was I Thinking

Kenya POV-

"Here you go

"Here you go." Jarvis got in the car with our food.

"Thank you. I didn't even know they still had drive-ins." I said as the previews began to play on the huge screen.

Jarvis had took me to a drive-in move theater that played older movies. Today it was playing, Love and Basketball.

"Oh yeah. It's not that many of them but they have them." He put our drinks in his car cup holder.

He handed me some nachos and he got a hot-dog.

Of course O wanted to hang tonight but I told him I had plans with Brandon. I wasn't going to give him any reason to block by telling him I was on this date with Jarvis.

"So tell me about yourself Miss Kenya. Where you from?" He said putting condiments on his hot dog.

"Fayetteville, North Carolina. And you from Convent, Louisiana right?"

"Yup. But I grew up in Lutcher. Either way, I'm a Louisiana boy through and through." He took a bite of his hot-dog.

"How long you been playing football?" I asked eating some of my nachos.

The sound of the previews were in the background.

"8 maybe. I was apart of a youth football league. My mama put me in it to keep me out of trouble you know. And I ain't looked back since."

"I think that's so cool. How you can start something so young and it can ultimately be the thing that changes your life. Like can you believe the draft is going to happen for you this year."

"Yeah that is crazy. That's all you dream about then wala you walking inside your dream. Just being at LSU is a dream. With the way shit is in the world, my mother didn't even know if I would live to see these days. But to see how happy she is in the stands for me, everytime we have a game. That's what keeps me playing. Even through the hard times."

"I think that's absolutely wonderful and inspiring." I smiled at him.

"No. What is inspiring is you. I don't know much about you, but I do know the general consensus is that you're brilliant. You stay on the school website winning awards for academics and research."

"That was one award. And it was just for some formula I came up with." I brushed it off.

"Formula you came up with? You acting like anybody can do that."

I laughed. "It just comes natural to me. My goal is to create cosmetic products, all types, that actually cater to women of color. Me being darker skin, I always wondered why products didn't really cater to us. Then in high school we had career day. And this woman came in and she said she was a chemist for L'Oreal and her job was to develop formulas for their products, depending on the skin type, need, etc. and instantly I knew that's what I wanted to do. Because for every product you use. A chemist is in the lab, developing the product through formulas."