Flashback: The Secret

Kenya POV-

I arrived to my history class early. There was a math class that took place in here before my class, but they were leaving out.

I was about to go in, but I saw Otis was the last one and wanted to talk to the professor.

He flashed me a dirty look. I rolled my eyes and closed the door. I know one thing, the professor better not fall for his fucking athlete sweet talk. Make him earn his grades like the rest of us.

Being nosey, I stood close enough so I could hear, because I swear if she agrees to just give him a grade instead of make him earn it, I will bring this to the administration and get his ass kicked out, like he threatened to do me. 

"Prof. Turner. I swear, I study and try everything and I still don't get it. Can you let me do extra credit or something at least ?" I heard him say.

"No Odell. I gave you chance after chance. You just failed your latest test. I'm going to have to fail you. Sorry."

"If I fail this class, I'm  going to lose my scholarship."

"You should've put as much time and energy as you do on the field in this class. Let's be real, this is the easiest most basic math out of all the classes. I have never had a student get less than a C. You're failing because you're not applying yourself. Things aren't handed to you on the field and they aren't  going to be handed to you in real life."

"Prof. Turner my family is counting on me. What am I going to tell them if I lose my scholarship?"

"I don't know. You figure it out."

I moved away from the door as she came out. I went in.

"X+1=9. What is X?" I asked him.

He grabbed his book bag and pushed passed me.

"I'm asking to see if you have dyscalculia rude ass. You may not be failing because you're actually lazy."

He stopped. "What is that?"

"A disorder sorta like dyslexia, but it deals with numbers. It causes severe difficulty in making arithmetical calculations, as a result of brain disorder."

"I ain't got no disorder." He said and began to walk out.

"She can't fail you, if you do. And if you get diagnosed and do have it, she has to let you retake all your exams."

"How you know all this?" He turned to me.

"I had it. But I my 2nd grade teacher caught it early and worked with me and I just kept getting better as I got older."

"How you get it?"

"You're born with it. Most people just shuck it off as 'I'm bad at math', when in actuality it could be this."

"How you find out if you have it?"

"The tutoring center offers testing."

"No. I refuse to be embarrassed. Everybody on this campus knows me."

🙄