No Arguing Part 2

The flowers were waiting in a vase on your kitchen table when you finally trudged home from work. The long day had left you close to exhausted, but at the sight of them you grinned. There was a label attached to them- you didn't need it to find out who they were from, though.

Nevertheless, you dropped your bag and looked at it.

Y/N,

Hope you had a good day. I'm looking forward to our meal later xx

Love from Steve.

A funny warmth began to tingle in your stomach, and you fought back a giggle. It had been so long since anyone bought you flowers. As hard as it was to admit it, Natasha's idea really had been a good one.

You had seen Steve several times since that first date in the park. Every time it felt like you fell a little deeper in love with him, because that man was all you'd ever wanted. He was polite and charming and he made you feel like a lady, despite the past you and Nat had shared. In short, Steve Rogers was all that you needed, and all that had been missing. It could be dangerous, you knew that. But you were already on the run from HYDRA, and the Black Widow was your sister. It would be hard for you to be under any more danger.

Nat knew how much you liked him, and she was unbearably smug about it all. She was due back from a mission next week, and the two of you were meeting for dinner. You had promised her that if you heard just one told-you-so, then you would leave her unable to go on a mission for a month.

The threat had only made her laugh.

But tonight you were seeing Steve again. Your outfit was already waiting on the bed, and you were almost quivering with excitement.

Just before seven, there was a knock on the door. You almost dropped your purse as you darted towards it.

"Hey, Steve," you grinned shyly when you opened it. "You look good tonight." Not that he didn't always look good, you added silently.

"You too." His gaze darted over your body, but didn't linger anywhere other than your face. He was practically beaming as he stepped forward and took you in his arms. You closed your eyes, bringing your lips up to meet his.

-

It was very late when you finally stumbled back into your apartment. You and Steve had drunk a whole bottle of wine between you both. You weren't drunk, but you were definitely tipsy. You swayed a little and hummed as you stripped out of your dress and into your pyjamas.

The bubbles of happiness in your stomach had just gotten even warmer as the evening went on. Truthfully, you thought they were more to blame than the wine. It had been too long since you felt this happy after a date.

Your hair fell around your shoulders in loose waves as you unpinned it. You moved into the bathroom to take your make-up off- you were tired, so you wouldn't have bothered expect for not wanting to have to wash make-up stains off your pillow tomorrow.

As you were pulling your hair into a loose ponytail, there was a noise at the front door.

The reactions that had been drilled into you for years kicked in. You froze. There came the sounds of someone fiddling with the lock, then the door creaking open and someone stumbling into the apartment.

Slowly, keeping as quiet as you could, you reached for the gun underneath the counter. It was cold against your suddenly-clammy palms as you pressed your back against the wall.

"Y/N? You in?"

The voice echoing plaintively in the hallway was Natasha's.

The gun clattered to the floor. You dived through the doorway, gasping when you caught sight of Nat. She was leaning against your wall, face pale against her black clothes. There was blood on her hands and seeping through the fabric.