It's a date.

You're usually a heavy sleeper. You've slept through thunderstorms, house parties, neighbours yelling at all hours of the night, and even a tornado that one time. You've slept through screaming babies on airplanes and your old roommate's extremely loud sex noises. You pride yourself on being able to sleep through anything, but you can't sleep through this. You can't sleep through these fucking pipes.

The person who lives above you has taken to showering at three in the morning. The first time it happened, you ignored it. You figured they'd had a rough night, or a wild night, and just needed to get clean right then and there; you understood, things happen. Then it happened again two nights later. You were a bit irritated, but you were able to get back to sleep. That was two weeks ago. You thought you were free, that it was just a twice-off thing. But here you are, the night before the most important presentation of your career, the presentation that is going to either get you the promotion you've been working towards since the beginning or lose you your job, and your neighbour's showering at three in the morning. You're furious.

You need your sleep, and you're not going to let whoever lives above you get in the way of that. You're going to let them know that they need to stop, that you actually have a job to get to in the morning, and they need to save their showering for normal hours because this is a pre-war building, and the plumbing is loud.

The more you think about how inconsiderate your neighbour is being, the more upset you get. Just who do they think they are? What kind of self-respecting person showers in the middle of the night on the regular? It's just plain rude. You pay good money to live in this building, in this area, and you expect the people here to show some respect.

You put on a sweatshirt, grab your keys, and head upstairs to give this person a piece of your mind.

You stomp up the stairs, making too much noise for the time of night but too annoyed to care, and knock on the neighbour's door. You stand there with your arms crossed over your chest and a scowl on your face as you wait what feels like an eternity (but in reality is only several minutes) for the person to open the door. You immediately regret it when they do.

The person who opened the door is none other than Captain America, and he's only wearing a towel.

"Can I help you?" Steve leans against the door, one hand holding onto his towel. He raises an eyebrow and looks you up and down.

That's when you realise you're not wearing pants. You really didn't think this through. "Fuck," you say outloud.

"Excuse me?"

Your cheeks are bright red, and you're staring at your feet. Steve Rogers, Captain America, is standing less than two feet away from you in a towel and you came up here to yell at him about showering at three in the morning. You take a deep breath, just because he's a superhero doesn't mean he can interrupt your sleep. You can't yell at him about like you planned, though. You can't yell at Steve Rogers; he helps little old ladies cross the street and visits children's hospitals in his uniform. He probably just didn't realise what he was doing. You'll just politely ask him to stop, and then you can go back to sleep.

"You uh, no," you take a deep breath and look at him. That wasn't one of your best ideas. His hair is damp and sticking to his forehead. A single water droplet is making its way down his cheek, and your eyes can't help but follow it as it makes its way down his face and under his jaw. You didn't realise how chiseled Captain America's jaw was. You clear your throat and force yourself to make eye contact with him (that's almost worse, his eyes are so blue), ignoring the smirk that appeared while you were drooling over him. "I live in the apartment under you, and your pipes are keeping me up. I have a meeting that could make or break my career tomorrow, and I can't sleep." You say everything in a rush, some of the words slurring together, before looking back down at your feet, your face redder than it was before.