The Big One

When you went through your "honeymoon" phase with Chris, people told you to prepare yourself for what they called, "The Big One". Meaning, sooner or later, the two of you were going to have your first fight and it was going to be devastating. You were kind of surprised that it took as long as it did, but with Chris's schedule and being away off and on, you didn't have the same lifestyle as other new couples who saw each other every single day.

Your "Big One" happened about five months in. Chris had been away for almost a month and you were anxiously awaiting his return. You had everything planned out for when he got back. He was going to come through your door and you would be waiting for him with a homemade dinner (his favorite meal), a special dessert and a new set of lingerie - which you had planned on wearing throughout dinner as well.

A few hours before he was scheduled to arrive, you got a text from him.

How's my girl?

Excited to see you soon! Are you almost here?

Oh, shit. Babe, I must have forgotten to tell you; I'm staying another couple nights here. Something came up and Susan wants me to hang around.

You had to read the text several times before you actually understood the words. You felt your heart instantly drop to your knees. How could he just forget to tell you that?

Another couple of nights? What does she want you to do?

Just meetings with people, like execs and stuff. Boring business things, but I guess they're pretty important.

Oh.

Baby, I'm sorry. I meant to tell you, but I've just been busy.

No, it's fine. I know this stuff is important for you to do right now. I just miss you is all.

I know. I miss you too. But it's just another couple days and then I'll be home.

Okay. I'll see you then.

You let out a long sigh and tossed your phone on the couch. You were thankful that you at least hadn't already put on the lingerie or started cooking the dinner. You opted that night for takeout pizza instead and ended the evening with a bowl of ice cream.

It wasn't that you were angry at him for staying. You knew that these next few months were going to be crucial for his career and you were honestly really excited for it. It was just that you wished he had told you sooner. It still would have been difficult, but it wouldn't have just been sprung on your so quickly.

The next morning was what really set off the chain of events that led to "The Big One". You woke up and spent some time on your laptop while you ate breakfast. Your Twitter feed seemed especially crowded today and it didn't take you very long to figure out why. Plastered everywhere was picture after picture of your boyfriend out and about in Los Angeles with [Model name] - an ex-girlfriend of his that you weren't particularly fond of. The date on the pictures claimed that they were taken last night and as you scrolled through them you felt your blood boiling. So much for his business meetings.

You didn't want to call him - you didn't even really want to talk to him at all - but you were angry enough that you thought a text would be sufficient, just so he knew that you were aware of his activities and weren't very happy about them.

Looks like your business meeting went well. Strange though, Susan is starting to look an awful lot like [Model name]. Maybe you should tell her to get a better plastic surgeon.

You hit send and then set your phone down in a huff in no real rush to get a reply, but one came quickly anyway.

What? What are you talking about?