Chapter Twenty-One: Bright

Washington, DC
July 8, 2015
10:33 AM
Kehlani Ashley Parrish

"Lani baby, I see you pump and ready for tomorrow nights show huh?" I looked over at Jahann as he smiled at me. I chuckled nodding my head as I leaned back into the chair.

"Of course..I missed my babies..and it's finally my night."

"Yup Lani..I'm proud of you.."

"Thanks Jahaan.."

"Aye I'll be back..gotta find David." I nodded my head as I continued recording more of the music. I bobbed my head to the smooth beat as I lip sync the verses. As I'm moving to the beat I see my phone light up. I turn off the recording and grab my phone seeing a unfamiliar number. I frown my eyebrows as I answer the phone placing it on my ear.

"Hello?"

"Kehlani?"

"Uh yea...who this?"

"It's your mother baby." I sighed in relief ruffling my hair.

"Ma why are you calling me from a weird ass number?"

"Sorry..I was released today and your the first person I decided to call."

"Really...well why didn't you let me know before you were released?"

"Well I couldn't get a hold of you..so I called you today." I licked my lips as I looked at the clock.

"Uh where are you?"

"I took a cab and now I'm in downtown Oakland."

"Shit...ma..I'm in Washington."

"Oh really?"

"Yea..uh if you want I can have one of my drivers fly down there and get you."

"That's fine..just as long as I get to see my baby again..I missed you." I smile placing my hand on my head.

"Missed you too ma...well uh I'm kind of busy at the moment but I'll send my driver David down to come scoop you up ok?"

"Yea yea of course..ill see you soon sweetheart."

"Yea love you bye."

"Love you too." I hung up the phone as I stared off into space, a part of me was happy that my mom was out of prison and another part of me was a little skeptical of how every thing will turn out to be. I sighed rubbing my eyes as I yawned. My phone begin to flash and I groaned picking it up but I smiled once I seen Robyn face timing me. I answered it as it begin to connect.

"Hey baby.." I smiled biting down on my bottom lip.

"Hey rob..how's everything?"

"Shit..could be better if ya' was here with me." She said looking at me through the phone. I ran my fingers through my hair as I giggled.

"Me too..after you left Washington I was beyond lonely without you babe."

"I know..Mel and Jenn been frying my ass with all these constant meetings and photo shoots..I have my show soon in rio and I would love fa' ya' ta' attend watch me work my magic."