Chapter Forty-Two: Regrets

Six Months Later

Tampa, Florida
August 7, 2016
3:34AM
Kehlani Ashley Parrish

"So far how do you feel about this one? You know with all the meaning behind the colors and the pain that goes along with those colors, what do you think?" Shaina asked as she finished painting one of her sketches. I tilted my head to the right then squinted my left eye, I shook my head then tilted it to the left side and squinted my right eye. Shaina just chuckled crossing her arms over her chest.

"Honestly..it's not your best, but it's not horrible."

"So it's bad?"

"No no Shaina..it's just not your best, I mean come on you want me to be up front with you or lie to you?"

"I was kind of hoping you'd lie..but it's whatever, this is only practice. Glad I got you for the constructive criticism that I desperately didn't ask for." I chuckled nervously as I continued back on my last couple of tracks. "What you working on?"

"Last minute music, I thought about releasing my album the end of the January, I don't know why but I just feel like it's a good start to release." Shaina nodded her head, for the past six months Shaina and I have become great friends, we've seem to get along pretty well and we work great together.

"Can I ask you something?" She asked. I glanced at her over my shoulder, by the looks on her face she didn't seem to serious about what she wanted to ask me.

"Yea what's up.."

"Uh, so you know we've been hitting it off pretty well and I feel like we're good friends and we have this oddly weird thing in common with a lot of shit..and I was hopping to you know take you out..like a dinner date." I stopped what I was doing on the keyboard and stared off into place. In our six months of bonding I was hopping she didn't ask me this, I mean yes we're friends and I have Robyn, even though we haven't spoken to each other in four months but this is my fault because I haven't told her that I'm in a relationship quite yet. It just didn't come out. "Kehlani?" I turn around facing her as her eyebrow was raised in confusion. "You still with me?"

"I'm..sorry, I-I uh I'd love to.." Shaina smiled nodding her head.

"Whew took you a minute..I thought you were going to say no." Oh trust and believe me, I wanted to but she's been a great friend so why not go out as friends, except she won't know that. Shaina has been my distraction from Robyn, she's been taking my attention from Robyn's absence, the more I'm with Shaina the less I think about Robyn not being here. I looked down at my right hand and instantly get annoyed..I stare at this ring everyday and get upset because I'm not able to get In touch with her because I know she's touring, I text her everyday but get late responses. But I can't be mad because this is Robyn's job, I have my job as well.

"Of course not..you just caught me by surprise.." she chuckled sitting next to me as she grinned at me. I giggle pushing at her shoulder. "You're a fucking creep."

"Oh well, get used to it. Hey where you wanna go for our dinner?"

"Hmm you seem to know more about Florida than I do so surprise me."

"Ok..um tonight at 9..meet me downstairs in the lobby." I nodded my head.

"Great..I'll see you tonight."