Twenty Seven

I was in the middle of taking a stroll with Samantha and Stephan when everything went black.

The urgent panicked screams of people flooding my ears as I sunk to the ground and my hands reached out to break the fall, Stephan and Sam's voices urging me to open my eyes but I couldn't.

The fire surging through my veins in a needy, consuming path as it went.

My fingers travelled over my sides in search of a broken rib and there latched onto my side was a tiny dart.

Poison.

"Poison." Stephan breathed.

I urged my eyes to open and as they flew open, that's when I saw them.

The eyes.

Big, ugly, yellow, glowing, scary to the core eyes and they were staring right at me as I stared into the lush brushes and trees that filled my view while laying with my head on Stephan's lap.

"We need to go." my voice faint as I struggled to breathe.

"We have to wait for Luke to come help you Lexi, we can't carry you alone. Not while you're in this state." Sam's voice urging me to see reason, but I knew those eyes were watching me for a reason.

My children.

"Sammy, go get more help please, I'll stay here with her."

No.

It's a trap.

A low growl had me stretching my hands over my swolen belly and closing my eyes.

I might have been pregnant and poisoned, but I sure as hell wasn't going down without a fight.

I looked up to see Sam give me a hesitant look only to have her turn around before the shuffle of her boots on the grass and the patting of them fading into the distance let me know she was in search of my mate .

Stephan started to hum softly as he cradled me, his eyes mirroring fear and worry.

To think this man was once...

No.

Let's not go there.

That's not my story to tell.

His hum slowly turned into a soft song as he swayed my head side to side and clutched onto my hand.

"In the cold we spent the night on the floor with the great, old pines. When the storm came alive I took your hand and I closed my eyes..." his voice shaky before it died out completely with a smack.

My head got ripped from him and as I got forced to my feet, I watched as my friend sunk to the ground, his eyes blank, his chest unmoving.

Turning my eyes away from him I watched the yellow eyes disappear into a naked form, eluminated by the last lights of day.

There stood a man, his body sculpted perfectly. His face mirroring godliness. His eyes threateningly black yet murky with mystery.

The person who pulled me up, gripped my head inside a hard, callused hand, forcing me to look its way and there stood Violet.

Her face mirroring fury and a lust for vengeance but that wasn't what had me fearing what would happen next, it was the eyes that kept glaring at me from inside the trees.

I ripped my head away to look those eyes dead in the eye, only to have one flit close and open in a wink, a finger wondering over to his mouth before it vanished and his lips mouthed "I am with you. Always."

A cackle had me returning my gaze to Violet before she began to escort me into the trees.

I willingly left with her. For my people.

I knew I would fight once my children would be near but as I glanced at Stephan, I couldn't bare losing more people just like I had lost Jamie and my brother.

___________

I have no idea how long we were walking for or how far, but by the excruciating pain that fired up my legs with every step I took, I'd say it's been a while.

My mouth was dry, stale and almost bitter tasting from biting my tongue countless times.

Violet was escorting me in silence the entire time, no peep from her, not even a hum.

"How much further do we have to go? My feet hurt and I'm so thirsty I would drown myself willingly." I breathed, my voice almost as arid as a desert.

"That would be so easy now, wouldn't it?", she paused "But I guess I cannot be as much cruel as my lady now can I?" suddenly a bottle appeared in her hand before she tossed it at me "Another mile and we'll be there"

A sudden burst of rage flashed through the link between Luke and myself and I knew he found out. He had no control over the thirst any longer.

Stephan's Point Of View

I woke to the sobs and screamed pleads of my mate, my first instict jumping in to protect her.

Jumping up and pushing her behind me I realised my mistake immediately as the world around me spun endlessly and I fell to the floor dead on the ass.

A violent throb attacked my head, but that wasn't what had me worried, it was the nudist in the trees staring right at me that had worry numbing out everything else.

He took a step from the trees, his every move precise and elegant as if he was some kind of cyborg robot thing from the cheesy human movies that Sam would have me watch.

He looked almost godlike somehow.

"Who are you?" I breathed, my eyes wondering to the branded scar on his shoulder shaped like a hammer.

"Who are you talking to?" Sam's voice worried as she gave me that look humans give you when they try to insinuate that you're either stupid or crazy.

"Are you telling me you can't see him?" I nodded my head towards where he was.

"Who?" her face full of disbelief as she looked around.

"Hi-" my words cut off as I pointed at the naked man, his voice booming into the area, the trees shaking lightly as the earth followed suit.

"Hephaustus."