Thirty Two

Liam came into view in the doorway.

"Lexi." he breathed, a small smile playing at his lips as he held onto a massive blue and pink teddy bear.

"Liam?" I exclaimed, gently placing Maeve in Peter's outstretched arms before running over to my best friend and engulfing him in a tight hug, the bear falling to the ground.

"You reek of Vampire. Why do you reek of Vampire?" he mumbled causing me to pull away from our embrace.

"That must be Kristina." I chuckled lightly before picking up the massive bear.

"I'm guessing she's hybrid. Anyway, let's not talk about her. I'm here to see you." he smiled.

"Okay."

"Is that all you're going to say?" he looked towards the floor.

"I don't know what to say, Liam." I breathed.

"You can start by explaining why you haven't called." he said, looking up at me.

"I was busy."

"Really now?" he blanched.

Peter cleared his throat before walking towards us, "I think I'll just give Maeve her bottle and go put her to bed, she's starting to fall asleep now."

"Sweet dreams, my love." I whispered, kissing Maeve's crown as my gaze never left Liam's.

"You really love them, don't you?" he breathed once sure Peter was a fair distance away.

"What kind of question is that supposed to be?" I hissed.

"I'm just trying to figure out what's going on in that head of yours, that's all." he shrugged.

"Look... Liam... There's no excuse for missing your birthday, but believe me when I say that it wasn't on purpose. Between the kids and the crazy huntress and her witch bitch on my tail, it was chaos. And in the midst of it all, I neglected you, I know, but I'm sorry okay."

"That's not what this is about. I've forgiven you for that. I'm just wondering if you've actually paid attention the condition your dad is in..."

"I have."

"And?"

"And what?"

"And did you even bother to find out what the hell is going on Lexi? Or were you too busy playing house with your Alpha?" he spat.

"Don't you dare talk about Luke like that. He has nothing to do with this." I snarled, poking him in the chest with my right index finger.

"See! All you see and hear is only him. Are you that blinded by your mate?"

"I am not blinded by him." I hissed.

"Then how can you not see that your dad is ill? And how can you not even bother to ask him what the heck is wrong?"

"I've asked him a thousand times and he won't tell me! Not even mom will!"

"Luna Macey doesn't know either. That's why she won't tell you. She can't!"

"Then would you tell me what the hell is going on?"

"Your dad is dying, Lexi." Liam's voice breaking as he looked to the floor once more.

I was about to poke Liam once more when the blow of what he said, hit the oxygen right out of my lungs.

Dying?

How can he be dying?

He can't die.

Not my dad.

Memories from my childhood came flooding in. How my father taught we the language of the Lycans. When he taught me how to read and write. The time he taught me how to ride a bike. When my first shift left my bones aching for a week and he would take care of me. The way he cringed when I decided to get my tattoo. The way he held me when James died.

My father was my hero.

And he was dying.

My wolf whimpered.

Although we were no longer part of his pack, she still felt connected to her former Alpha.

He was her leader for most of her existence and she would never forget all the times he defended her in battle and even saved her from the clutches of death, countless times.

"How long?" I mumbled.

"What?"

"How long!" I yelled.

"Not long enough..." he breathed, his eyes wallowing with sorrow.

"Then what?"

"How do I say this?"

"Say what?"

"How much I need you... How much WE need you."

"I have a family Liam."

"I told Sol this would happen." he snarled, kicking a cabinet in Luke's office causing me to flinch.

Solomon was my friend. Althought we differed in age by half a century, he was still my friend. That friend you always go to when you need advice; he was mine.

"I miss him." tears blurring my vision as I stared at my friend "I miss them all." a sob ripping itself free from my throat.

"Come home, Lexi." he begged, the plea in his eyes as clear as daylight.

A growl sounded in the hallway behind Liam.

"She's not going anywhere. She is home." Luke's voice low as his eyes gleamed red.

"Luke. Stay out of this." I hissed.

"No!" he roared, nearing me slowly, my only reaction being the ability to step back with each step he took towards me. "You are my mate. And the mother of our children. And I will NOT let some Beta take you away from me!" he snarled, "You are mine!" he roared, his face now mere inches away from mine as my back hit the wall.

"Uhu uhu", a female coughed "Is it too late to say 'hi'?" Kate's voice flowing through the air like an icebreaker causing Luke to pull away and straighten himself up.

"I'm sorry if you witnessed any of that Miss. I'm afraid, we haven't met. I'm Alpha Luke. But you could just call me Luke. You must be John's Beta female." he smiled, sticking his hand out as if his outbreak from seconds ago didn't happen at all.

"Hi." she smiled sweetly, avoiding his gaze and his hand.

I stood there. Flabbergasted. Mute. Frozen.

"I need some air." I breathed before pushing past Luke, Liam and Kate.

My anxiety hadn't affected me in the past months...

But as I stood in the snow, with specks of white falling down all around me and the fact that mortality came screaming at me from every direction; I could not stop my breath from leaving me helpless and gasping for air as I cried for my father.