Thirty Eight

Stephan's Point Of View

I never thought I'd hear my friend's name again until Lewis called me with an urgent tone to his voice, claiming that our cousin was going to use him as a pawn.

"It's a game." Lexi's voice replayed in my mind repeatedly.

But it made sense.

We were all just part of a big scheme and despite my cousin's mind telling him he's the one calling the shots; I knew better.

"It's Oliver." my wolf urged.

"I know." I breathed.

I've seen riddles before.

Oliver used them more often than not.

And when he didn't, you were left confused and often losing your mind.

"But why?" I questioned.

"Because of her." My wolf answered simply.

Suddenly the door to my assigned room swung open, Lexi out of breath as she stood in the doorway.

"Are you okay?"

"Besides the fact that I had to bury two people in one day? Yeah. Fine." she chuckled sarcastically.

"Need help with anything, then?"

"I wouldn't run 10 miles around my pack overthinking and come knocking on your door if I didn't."

"Then how can I help?"

"The riddles..."

"Okay?"

"I know you know something, Stephan. Lewis told me." she grinned.

"Why that little twi-" before my insults towards my sibling could find their escape, Lexi cut them short.

"Stop trying to get the spotlight off yourself and tell me what the fuck is going on!" she growled.

"Okay fine. His name is Oliver... He's one of the Alpha's I came across soon after I found Sam. He's a riddler... One who plays with its prey."

"I knew it was a game."

"It's not that simple..."

"If you solve the riddles, he'll want something in return for the people he took."

Suddenly a cry sounded and little feet sounded upon the wooden floorboards of Lexi's home.

"Alpha! Alpha!" a high-pitched voice screeched from behind Lexi, causing her to swing around and gasp.

"Stella! What happened?"

"There was a-a m-man... He-He took m-m-mommy." the girl cried.

Glancing over Lexi's shoulders into the eyes of a little girl whose robes were shredded and whose cheek was cut; I suddenly understood Oliver's intentions.