Thirty One

Liam's Point Of View

It's been four months since the news of Maximus and Maeve's birth.

Our leaders were almost by her side on a constant basis, although our pack was strong; it was taking it's toll on the reputation Lexi and I strived to uphold while she was with us.

Rogues became a undying threat that occured more often than not.

People disappeared.

Buildings became abandoned.

And our leader was falling, silently.

"How long?" I questioned Solomon, our pack healer.

"A year, if he's lucky... But it seems luck is no longer left on the table as a bargain my friend..." his voice gruff as he packed bottles of Heal away.

"What is it?" I questioned, chewing on my bottom lip.

"I've done so many tests, not even our advanced science can solve this mystery." he eyed me before grabbing a pile of bandages and packing them away in the cupboard and shutting it, then shoved his hands in his lab coat's pockets and sat down of the edge of his desk.

"What do we do?" I rubbed my sweaty hands on my jeans

The future of our pack depended on the well-being of its anarchy, and that was slowly crumbling.

"I'm afraid you'll have to suck it up, go to her and tell her the truth." he stared at me pointedly, his lips in a straight line.

"I can't..." my voice faint as I looked to the ground.

"Why?"

"It's too much to ask of a Luna who just became a mother."

"That's where you're mistaken... You know what she's like. She'll help us in a heartbeat."

"That's what I'm afraid of, Sol."

"She's an Alpha, Liam. She's a big girl. And you know she'll help her people, no matter what. We're her family."

"She has a new family now." I looked up at him with a clenched jaw.

"Don't tell me you're miserable just cause she missed your birthday." he chuckled.

"It's more than that, Sol. I love her. She's my best friend and I want her to be happy. And the definition of happy doesn't mention being stuck in your old pack ruling a bunch of people you used to know."

"Then tell me why she trained so hard her whole life. She did it for you, John and most importantly James. She did it for the entire pack... And having a mate won't blind her from what she wants."

"It already has."

"You stupid, stupid boy. And you call yourself her best friend. Go to her. Beg if you must. But I would put money on the fact that she'll beg you."

"But-" I started.

"Just go!" he ordered as he pointed to the door of his office, the glowing gold handle looking as intimidating as ever.

Lexi's Point Of View

Motherhood was blissful apart from the odd sloppy diaper every now and again.

But the growth of my children had me concerned.

Maximus grew at a rapid speed where at two weeks he looked like a 6 week old child.

But Maeve, she grew slow and not at the normal pace for a abnormal shifter child, but way beyond even that.

"So, is there any change?" I questioned Luke as I stood by the window in his office, cradling Maeve while watching snowflakes fall slowly.

"Jeff and your father seem to have come to an agreement that I can finally add that little piece of ground onto our territory." he fumbled with pieces of paper, before pulling one out and signing it."I'm going to need you to sign though."

"What for?"

"To get that ridiculous fortress of Marcus down to the ground."

"I say we keep it standing."

"Why?"

"It may be a dark place for me, but who's to say it has to be a dark for our children? A little bit of work and it could be a little escape for them once they grow up..." I glanced at Luke before kissing Maeve's tiny hand.

"If that's what you want." he sighed, ripping the paper to pieces before getting up and walking over to me.

"I'm worried about her." I whispered, looking down at my daughter.

"She'll be fine." Luke whispered back , wrapping his arm around my waist.

"You don't know that." I looked up at him with teary eyes.

"In fact, I do know. Because she has you as a mother." Luke smiled, pressing his lips against my forehead as he reached out to hold Maeve's hand.

A soft knock sounded on the door before it slammed open to reveal Maximus in Peter's arms, bouncing up and down as he smiled.

"He insisted to see ma-ma and da-da." he chuckled.

"Da-da!" Max squealed as Luke held his arms out.

"He almost destroyed a vase in the hallway, luckily Sam saved the day with her killer reflexes. That girl adjusts so fast, one wouldn't even think she's human." Peter chuckled before gently handing Max to Luke.

"I'd say. She's becoming stronger than even Kristina and that woman scares the shit out of me." Luke's eyes large as he shivered.

"Maxi! Naptime!" Kristina called from down the hallway.

"We better get you to aunty K before she bites off your piggies." Luke grinned, tickling a giggling Maximus before walking out the door and down the hallway.

"I heard that." I heard Kristina say before a loud smack sounded through the house "Even your aura won't save you from a backhand to the coconut." she chuckled.

"Have you seen your dad today?" Peter questioned stuffing his hands in his pockets before coming to stand next to me.

"No."

"He looks bad Lexi."

"I know Pete."

"Then why don't you talk to him?"

"I try. But whenever I bring up his health, he brushes it off like it's nothing. What can I do? Hold a silver blade to his throat and threaten him to tell me or I'll kill him? Cause we both know that's absurd." tears started running down my cheek.

"Uh-hum." an all too familiar fake clearing of the throat sounded causing me to brush away my tears with a free hand.

"Yes, Raph?" I plastered on a smile, glancing over my shoulder.

"Your father seems to have left us to take care of some business matters." he bowed lightly.

"Is that all Mr. Butler?" I chuckled.

"It seems we have a visitor, ma'am." he smirked.