Chapter 1

Jungkook's POV

My mornings are the same as usual, wake up, get dressed, go to school. I don't particularly see a need for breakfast or talking to my parents... not that they get up to see me off anyway.

I'd like to think that it was because of the monotonous days that I'm beginning to feel numb. But... I know that's not the case. No matter how boring this routine-like life is, it's not why I'm like this. Sighing softly I shake my head in an effort to clear it. Think. Pay attention. I tell myself, a sinking feeling settling in my stomach. I tend to get lost in thought a lot, and I lose touch with reality. It's one of the many reasons people look at me strangely. They think it's because I don't care... they think it's because I choose not to listen. That's not it. That's not it at all.

Realization falls over me, and I lightly slap my cheek. Stop. You're doing it again. I tell myself, Let's try to make today a good day.

My gaze is trained on the ground as I walk to school, the cold winter floor providing somewhat of a comfort to me. Unlike most people I love the cold. Well, to me it's better to be cold and warm up than the other way around. Besides, snow fascinates me. It's like most things in life... It starts pure and becomes tainted in the end.

Despite the fact that my parents refuse to drive me, I don't mind walking to school every morning. Its much better than the loud screams of teenagers, or the strange, hard seats. I'd rather be alone with my thoughts before I have to face another day. I need to prepare myself so I can deal with everything.

The snow is blinding but it calms me, reassuring me that I can embrace the fact that it is winter. At least that's something to look forward to.

The cold is harsh but I don't mind it. I can't really feel it. Well... I can't really feel much of anything lately. Letting out a heavy sigh, I bite my bottom lip out of habit. I don't want to think about that... Not right now.

Before I notice it, I've reached the school's vicinity, the wide entrance doors greeting me. Students older and younger than me sprint by and push their way through. What are they so excited for? It's just school... Just a routine of working like a machines and anxiety.

I grit my teeth and slowly enter the building, hoping that I would remain unnoticed. I had chosen to wear black clothes again today. It's a frequent choice of mine. I don't know if it's because the color calms me, or because it camouflages me somewhat, but I like it. After all, the last thing I want is more stares than necessary. I already get enough of that.

My shoulders feel heavy and I trudge through the school hallway, the loss of sleep from the night before beginning to take effect. My eyes hurt and so does my head, a full headache echoing in my mind. I head towards my locker, a veil of blankness coming over me. The world seems surreal as I turn the lock, and the only thing I can register is the cold metal of the lock. I'm falling into it again. Numbness.

So absorbed in the feeling of the lock, I hadn't noticed that my locker was now open and I was getting things from it. Nor did I notice the presence behind me.

A hand slapped my back and I whirled around in a panic. I couldn't hide how startled I felt, but once realization set in, I calmed down.

"Hey!" A semi-high pitched voice exclaimed, its owner smiling brightly. Standing before me is one of my only friends (well, I guess you could say best friend) Park Jimin. He's a short, muscular man with a baby face, black hair and brown eyes. We've been friends since third grade, and despite the fact that he's a bit older than me, we get along well. As a matter of fact, he's the one I trust the most, if not the only one.