Chapter 16

*Another somewhat angsty chapter, don't read if you're uncomfortable

Jungkook's POV

       I had just been settling in my bed after a satisfying dinner when suddenly, a call came. Confusion settles within me, and I stare at the phone in my hands. I was just watching something on YouTube, but it got interrupted by a phone call. Initially I became annoyed at the disruption, but then realization sinks in. Nobody calls me.

      Confused and a bit curious, I gaze at the name sitting on the screen. Taehyung.

       Taehyung?

       Why would he be calling?

       We've hardly talked over text, much less over phone call since we traded numbers, so why is he calling me? A bit worried of what this phone call could contain, I carefully bring the phone up to my ear and press 'accept'.

       "Hello?" I call, listening carefully to the other side of the phone. I don't know what I was expecting to hear, but this was not it.

        Ragged breathing and whimpering comes from the other side of the phone, and instantly alarm is set off within me. I instantly think of the worst case scenario. Is he hurt?

        I'm trying to make sense of what might be happening when I hear Taehyung's voice sound. His voice is strange to me. It doesn't sound like Taehyung's voice, but I've heard it before... Where? Oh. When he was crying.

       The realization causes my stomach to drop, and Taehyung's words set off adrenaline within me.

       "J-J-Jungkook... I-I really w-want to see you..."

       I sit up in my bed and hold my phone close to me, any plans for later tonight thrown out of the window. "Taehyung?" I question, "What's wrong? Where are you? Are you okay?"

      There's a slight sniffle on the other end before I hear his voice, raspy and weak. "P-Please... Can I see you?"

      I press my lips together and reply without a second thought. "Of course. Do you want me to come get you? Hyung, what happened?"

      There's another slight pause, and every moment of silence only makes me more and more concerned.

      "N-No... I'll meet you somewhere... I-I don't want you to come here."

      His words propose so many questions in my mind, but I refrain from asking them. Now's not the time. I need to see Taehyung. "Is the park okay?" I question, anxiousness bringing energy to my body.

      The park is the place where we usually separate ways after school. It's not a particularly exposed place, and sometimes we hang out there before going to our respective homes. I wait anxiously for a reply, and begin to grow more and more concerned every second I don't hear his voice.

     "O-Okay. I-I might be a little l-late though."
     A little curious from his response, I nod, forgetting that he can't see me. "Alright, that's fine. I'll see you there."

     I can practically hear the pounding of my heart in my chest as the phone call ends, and I don't waste a moment. I jump out of bed and throw a hoodie on, not even caring about how I look. My body shakes with urgency, and I don't have time to think by the time I run out of my room and out the front door, my phone resting in my pocket. All I can think about is Taehyung.

     Taehyung.

     I need to see Taehyung.

     I don't even think to use a car, and simply run. The park is about 15 minutes away from my house by foot, but that doesn't change anything. It only makes me run faster.