20

Janson's POV

The plan was working. So far, Teresa has killed more people than was planned. Julie doesn't know, of course. She though we sent Teresa over to get the supposed cure Ava Paige was talking about before the guards blew her brains out. 

I don't worry about Julie finding out at all either. She isn't the smartest girl in this building, and I don't think she ever could improve after the little accident she had. And plus, Julie would never think of doing anything terrible to me. After all, I am her uncle. 

I look towards the screen and watch through Teresa's eyes. She currently killed Harriet and Minho, courtesy of me, and was now trudging back to her unlocked, unguarded house. I still wonder why we thought we could find a cure through these idiot Munies.

Before Teresa could make it back to her house, a flash of blonde passes by at the corner of the screen.

"Wait," I tell Teresa, trying to get a look at the figure hiding behind the tree. "Turn to your left."

"I see something," Teresa says, grabbing the sharp knife from inside her boot. She slowly advances, and the figure behind the tree lets out a scream and makes a run for it.

"Get her!" I scream, automatically knowing it was Sonya. I watched as Teresa chased after her.

It wasn't long since Teresa finally caught up to her. I smirked, making my way over to the left side of the control centre, passing the panel of buttons that Julie uses to control Teresa, and making my way instead to a table, which held a helmet.

The helmet was wired to a small box in the middle of the room. It glowed blue as I made my way towards it. I put it on my head, immediately smiling when I felt the connection between me and Teresa. I could see through her eyes and hear through her ears. Now, they were my eyes and ears. There was no more Teresa. It was just me.

"Where are you, you blonde shank," I called out, looking around. I heard a whimper above me. I smirked as I realized where she was. Sonya was a smart girl, but not as smart as I thought she would turn out. Bless the forest and it's betraying feeling of safety and solitude, I thought.

I quietly made my way to a tree that was beside the one Sonya was climbing and started climbing. I immediately praised myself for getting Teresa boots. I kept climbing till I was right beside Sonya. She was huddled on a branch, looking down for me. I reached over to where she was and tapped her shoulder. She looked up, and I stared at her fear-filled eyes.

"Boo," I whispered, smirking. She immediately screamed, trying to climb down the tree. I watched her as she set her right foot on a loose branch. It gave away and fell to the ground, bringing Sonya with it. I started making my way down to see how much damage was done. By the time I made my way down to the ground, there was a pool of crimson at my feet. I smiled at the sight of Sonya's blonde hair covered in blood. Huh, I thought. Maybe this could be our new tactic. Lead people into the forest and let them fall to their deaths. I slightly chuckled to myself before leading Teresa to a secluded area deeper in the forest and taking off the head device. 

I sighed and blinked, trying to get used to the bright lights. I set the head piece down and put it into a small safe. I made my way towards the chair, smiling at the memory of the dead girl.

These days, I get urges. Urges to murder. Some days, I can't even go to the control centre because my head was pounding like crazy. But I liked it. I loved it. This way, I could be my true self.

People tell me to take the Bliss to keep myself sane; they say if I don't take it, I'll die. So I've been doing that for the past few years. But every time I take it, I feel like it takes some part of my brain. I can't think anymore with the Bliss in my system. And I hate it. So I stopped, and everything became clearer. It was no longer a blur. And now I understand the world and myself better. I know now what is right.

I laughed silently to myself as Julie walked in to the control centre.

"Did you figure out what that sound was?" I asked her, leaning back in my chair.

"Er, yeah," she replied hurriedly. I furrowed my eyebrows, almost doubting the loyalty of her. "It was one of the stupid guards," she mutters, rolling her eyes. I immediately ease at her statement. The guards are such shanks, as the gladers would say. "So how is Teresa?"

I flinch at her question; she gives me a look of confusion and uncertainty. What's up with her, I think to myself. "Let's just say she has, uh, fewer friends," I reply, fighting the urge to smirk. She stares at me, rolling her eyes. I furrow my brows once more before turning around in my chair and pretending to be occupied with a few papers. Out of the corner of my eye, I see her plop down onto a wooden chair near the door and cross her arms. I glance at her and see her glaring at me. 

What has gotten into her? Does she know the truth about her past? I lightly chuckle to myself, knowing that Julie can't possibly know about her past. The only people that possibly know are all dead, including Ava Paige, courtesy of me, of course. 

After a while, Julie gets up and leaves the room. I flinched as she slammed the door shut. I sighed as I stared after her. What did I do to her, I wonder, feeling pain spread in my body. You've done so much to her. She doesn't matter Janson. She isn't even actually your niece. You just found her on the streets and thought she would be a good test subject, but you got to attached to her to let her go. She'll never love you ever again if she finds out. I don't think she ever did love you like you loved her. She was like a daughter to you. And you would do almost everything for her until you got the flare. Now you don't even care for her; you don't spare her a glance. And you wonder why she hates you, if she didn't from the start. How pathetic, a little voice in my head taunted.

"Shut up!" I screamed, gripping my hair. Is that really what Julie thinks of me? Just then, two beeps went off. I smiled, and the subject was now out of my mind as a new thought replaced it.

Teresa was awake.

✯✡✯✡✯

A/N: oh my my (love that album) guess who's back after 3 months whooooooooooops

SORRY SORRY I SAID I WAS GONNA UPDATE YESTERDAY ON NEW YEARS BUT I CAME HOME AT  7PM FROM STAYING AT AN AIRPORT FOR 32 HOURS AND I HAD TO CATCH UP ON SONGS/NEW BANDS & ARTISTS + I WAS TIRED + I WAS HUNGRY + MY BATHROOM CEILING TILE BROKE AND FELL AND EXPLODED + TIME JUST FLEW AND IT WAS MIDNIGHT AND I WANTED TO SLEEP

sorry sorry sorry i had to get my applications straight and do exams and try to finish a project and ughhh 

also i was in Bangladesh for the past 2-3 weeks without wifi and i only had limited access to a phone & data so sorrrryyyyy 

ANYWAYS THANKS FOR READING ❤︎ 

Vote, comment, and have a beautiful day/night

P.S. If you're ever bored or just wanna talk about anything hit me up