25

Teresa's POV

We hiked up the hill, the sun beating down on our bodies hard. I heard Aris groan for the fifth time, and I rolled my eyes. 

"Why are you whining like a baby?" I asked him while facing him. He glared at me in response, fanning himself.

"Get used to the heat, loser," I said, turning back. I quickly dodged the tree that was right in my face at the last minute and watched as Aris hit the tree himself.

"Ow!" he yelled, stumbling back. I stifled a laugh, crossing my arms over my chest.

"That's what you get for complaining about the heat," I said, amusement filling my eyes as I saw him fall on his butt. "It's called Karma! Don't mess with the universe and nature or else you're gonna get it."

With that, I continued ahead to the place where we had our showdown. All of a sudden, my arm throbbed. I let out a pained gasp, clutching the spot where Gally had cut me.

"That shucking piece of klunk," I cursed, seeing red seeping from the spot. I lifted my sleeve to see the stitches opened. I furrowed my eyebrows trying to remember how it happened. All of a sudden, a stinging pain came from the wound; a pain that I've never felt before. I looked back at the wound and widening my eyes. There were spiders crawling out of the wound, which was now gushing blood. I let out a yelp, watching as the spiders climbed up my body and into my mouth. I shut my eyes hard and opened them, only to find my wound perfectly stitched up just like how it was minutes before.

"What's wrong?" Aris asked me, shaking me shoulders. I pushed his hands off and pulled my sleeve down. 

"Nothing," I replied firmly. "We still need to walk a few metres to get the spot." 

Hello, a hear a woman say. I turn around, looking for the unknown person, but realize the voice is coming from my mind. 

Who are you, I say in my head, quietly walking.

It doesn't matter, she says. What matters is that you eliminate every Munie except one.

Let me guess, Tom? I respond. For a while, I hear nothing. Then she finally speaks.

He will be the best candidate to... deliver what we need for the cure, she says.

I furrow my eyebrows. They have the cure here? What do you mean? I ask her.

Did Janson not tell you? She responds. The reason we picked this spot is because the cure is here. This is phase four. And you are their obstacle.

I widen my eyes as I realize what she was. My mind flash-backed to the trees. They spelled out phase 4. 

"Oh my shuck," I whispered. 

"What was that?" Aris called out from behind. 

"Just shut up!"

~

After a while of silent walking, we finally made our way to the hill where we battled last time. I smirked as I saw Tom there, leaning against the tree. There were no bodies in sight. 

"Looks like you showed up," I called out to him. He shot his head towards our direction, slowly getting up.

"Guess I did," he replied, shoving his hands into his pockets. He had a bag lying beside him, filled with presumably weapons. 

"You do realize what's about to happen right?" I asked him, whipping out my knife and twirling it between my fingers. In the corner of my eyes, I saw Aris get out a small axe. Tom eyed my knife, standing there. I furrowed my eyebrows, wondering why he didn't take out any weapons from his bag. 

"I have no weapons with me," he said, reading my mind. I cocked my eyebrow, nodding at the bag. He just smiled in response. "Why are we just standing around," he yelled, anger laced in his voice. "Let's fight!"

I smirked in response, motioning Aris to charge at him. He ran towards Tom, axe in the air, and was immediately flung to the ground once after being jabbed in the stomach. I furrowed my eyebrows, wondering why Aris was being so sloppy. I taught him to always guard himself and make sure the enemy has no attack points. Guess I'll have to do this for myself, I thought as I slowly made my way towards Tom. 

I took out a second knife and I stared to run to him. He pulled out a knife of his own, causing me to raise my eyebrows. I slide on my knees once I reached, attempting to cut his leg open, but he moved just in time. I quickly somersault and turn around to see him come at me. I raise my arms to block him, hoping the metal sleeves Janson gave me work. I smile as I hear a loud clank, pushing back on Tom. He stumbled backwards but quickly recovered. I stood up as well, brushing the dirt off of my pants. I quickly look back to see Aris still on the ground. I roll my eyes and look back and Tom, who was charging at me. I step to the side and grab his arm as he passes me and twist it. He cries out, crashing on the ground. I put my hands on my hips as I watch him recover.

"You lied about the knife," I said, eying his injured arm. "Yikes, that looks painful."

"I can't believe you," Tom replies, sighing.

"Do you want a break?" I asked, jokingly. He rolled his eyes and sighed. 

"So what did you do with all the bodies?" I asked innocently. 

"I buried Frypan and I'm treating Gally," Tom answers, glaring at me. I don't tell him that Gally will die no matter what he does.

"I wonder what you'll do with the body lying on this field today," Tom screamed at me, his veins sticking out from his neck. I furrowed my eyebrows at what he'd said.

"What are you talk- AH!" I was saying but was cut off by my own scream. I looked down at my thigh to see Aris' axe pierced into it. I looked behind me and saw Aris, a fire burning in his eyes.

"Why are you so surprised, huh?" He said, glaring at me. "Did you think I'd side with someone who was a monster? Someone who killed everyone I loved?!"

I just glared at him, spitting through my teeth, "Explain."

"Well Tom and I came up with a plan," he started, "I was to stay with you and figure out your plans and tell Tom, and in the last moment, betray you like you have betrayed all of us."

I looked between Aris and Tom and pulled out the axe. I ripped the bottom of my shirt and tightly tied it at the wound. I stared at the bloodied axe when a wave of pain hit my head. In the corner of my eyes, I saw Aris run to Tom to help him. I held my head, furrowing my eyebrows when I heard someone chanting in my head, first quietly then loudly.

"Kill them, kill them, kill them, kill, kill, kill, kill, kill, kill!" It screamed it my head. I opened my eyes and stared at Aris. I rose his axe in the air and threw it at him. It hit his head with a thunk. His eyes rolled to the back of his head as he fell down right beside Tom, a pile of blood already forming around him. I smirked, licking my lips as I looked towards a frightened Tom. 

"It's your turn," I whispered, as I sprinted towards him and attacked.

'             '              '             '            '          '         '

eyyooo i'm back!! sorry for taking so long to update guys! I'm planning to finish this book this month, so give me some hype so I can get the motivation to finish as fast as I can! 

bye guys and ily

~afrah

[unedited]