26

a/n: thanks for 5k guys!! love you xx

Julie's POV

27, 28, 29...

I sighed, watching my uncle pace from side to side of the control centre. He seemed to be in some of dilemma that he couldn't decide upon, no matter how much he paced.

38, 39 , 40.

All of a sudden he stopped, before going at it again. Back and forth, back and forth. Once again a sigh escaped my mouth, my brain urging me to leave the spot. But I don't.

I looked around the little viewing room I was in, furrowing my eyebrows. Why did they make this room in the first place? It was no bigger than a regular sized walk in closet, with one whole side being a window that revealed the control centre. To the left of the window was a little switch that allowed the window to be see through from both sides. Now, like always, only I could see through it. To Janson, it would look like a small painting.

I stare back at Janson and frown. My hand automatically moves to my mouth, and I start to chew on my nails.

"Take your hands out of your mouth. You know that's a bad habit," a familiar voice calls behind me.

I turn around and smile at the woman before me, embracing her seconds after I meet her eyes.

"Good to have you here, Doctor," I say, smiling.

"Of course. Would you like to go for dinner with me?" the woman asks.

"I would love to, Ava Paige."

~

"Julie, dear, I would like to tell you something," Ava said. I looked up at her from my dinner plate and gave her a curious smile.

"Ah, I don't think there should be a smile on your face right now," Ava says solemnly, setting her fork down.

I imitate her actions and wipe my mouth, and look at her seriously. I nod at her to go on.

"It's about your Uncle," she says with a worried look displayed on her face. "He isn't the person you've come to know."

I scoffed and set my hands on the arm chairs.

"I already know he's a crank. No need to remind me of the monster he's become," I say, rolling my eyes.

Ava hesitates before replying, "That's not what I was talking about."

I automatically freeze, slowly looking into her eyes to see if she was lying.

"What exactly do you mean by that?"

"Your uncle.. he is using Teresa to kill the other Gladers and end the process of making the cure," Ava spills.

I immediately stand up, the sound of the legs of my chair scratching against the tiled floor making Ava flinch.

"He did what!?" I scream, fisting the handkerchief in my hands. I slowly started processing everything that was revealed about my uncle, the horrid information replacing every good memory I had with him.