Shakespeare's Story

Julie banged her head against her desk. Why did school hate her. What had she done to deserve this? She had straight A's, rarely had detention (and when she it was normally Ivy's fault), and she was very responsible. So why did life hate her right now?

"Now we need a Sampson, a Gregory, a Abraham, a Benvolio, a Tybalt, a Capulet, a Lady Capulet, a Montague, a Lady Montague, a Prince, and a Romeo." Mr. Harvey asked. Juliet's hand shot up.

"Hold up, are we acting this out?" Julie questioned nervously. Mr. Harvey shook his head.

"We may act out some parts but for the most part I just want you to read your characters part. Everyone will read at one point. Who would like to be a character in this scene? You can only be a character who is on your side though, except for those in the middle."

Romeo Cameron's hand shot up. Julie sighed. Of course that cocky idiot would want to be the title character. At least there was no Juliet in this scene.

"Romeo, would you like to be?" Mr. Harvey asked.

"Who else? Romeo of course!" Romeo joked. Mr. Harvey smiled and continued. Soon all of the positions were filled and Julie wasn't doing any of them.

"Who would like to read the prologue?" Mr. Harvey asked. To Juliet's dismay Ivy's hand shot up. It was a shock to the entire class because Ivy rarely participated in any class, she only made funny comments. Julie shot a glare in Ivy's direction. Ivy smirked back. "Uh, yes, go ahead, Ivy."

"Two households, both alike in dignity,
In fair Verona, where we lay our scene,
From ancient grudge break to new mutiny,
Where civil blood makes civil hands unclean.
From forth the fatal loins of these two foes
A pair of star-cross'd lovers take their life;
Whose misadventured piteous overthrows
Do with their death bury their parents' strife.
The fearful passage of their death-mark'd love,
And the continuance of their parents' rage,
Which, but their children's end, nought could remove,
Is now the two hours' traffic of our stage;
The which if you with patient ears attend,
What here shall miss, our toil shall strive to mend."

"Very good, Ivy." Mr. Harvey told her. Ivy beamed.

After class Julie caught up to Ivy.

"You just read to annoy me, didn't you?"

"You know me so well."

As Julie rolled her eyes at her friend, her phone started to vibrate in her pocket. She had just gotten a text.

Oh, fair sweet Juliet, why do you play hard to get? Don't you love that we are reading our story in English?

"That's it! Ivy, why? Uh I can't take him anymore."

I'm not playing hard to get. We will never be together! Got it? Also it's Shakespeare's story. Not ours.

Hostile as alway, babe.

Julie stomped her foot and turned off her phone. She was just going to ignore him.