Avoided

All day Tuesday Juliet avoided Romeo at all costs. She even sat by herself and read a book at lunch, rather than hang out with her friends. Yes, Julie wanted to bury her feelings as deep as she could.

The less confrontation the better became her philosophy.

It was Thursday and Julie had made it two days of avoiding the hoodie wearing teen. And he was starting to get suspicious.

Why was she avoiding him like the plague? Had he done something wrong? Had he said something? Was it him or was it just something about her?

Sometimes he questioned why he liked this specific girl so much. She was all over the place sometimes, but then again that's what made her Juliet. And he liked Juliet even if she was a bit of a weirdo.

Even still she was being quite obvious.

On Thursday during Culinary Arts he came over to talk to her to ask what was going on. As soon as he opened his mouth her face turned red and she called over Emily as a distraction, before he could even get the words out.

Even at the bakery she had been awkward, always calling someone over whenever Romeo tried to talk to her in private. She clearly didn't want to talk. She just wanted to run away, like usual. Zero confrontation.

What was going on with her? Was it because of what happened at the dance? Romeo concluded that it was the most likely option.

Today Romeo was taking Anthony's bus because they were going to work on their chemistry homework together. This was the perfect time to get Julie alone to talk to her.

Instead of sliding in the seat next to Anthony, he slid into the seat next to his favorite girl.

"Hey, Julie!" He said. Her face turned red.

"Oh uh, Romeo! Er... I got to go." Julie said, starting to get up.

"Julie, we're on a bus. Where exactly are you going to go?" Romeo asked in confusion.

"Uh... Woah!" The bus jerked forward while Juliet was still standing up. The sudden motion caused Julie to lose her balance and fall onto Romeo's lap. Her face turned a deep scarlet. Romeo couldn't help but smile.

Julie quickly got off him and slid back into her own seat, her face refused turn back to its normal color.

"Julie, what's going on with you? You've been avoiding me lately." Romeo began, honestly.

"What? No I haven't." Julie lied. Romeo crossed his arms.

"Yes you have. You have barely spoken to me in three days and we go to school together, have the same friends, and work at the same place. Something is up. Are you alright, Juliet?" He asked.

"I don't know... I guess I have been avoiding you a bit." Julie admitted.

"Why? Did I do something?" Romeo questioned. He had never wanted to hurt her.

"No it wasn't you. It's me." Julie said.

"Can I do anything about it?" Romeo tilted his head, looking innocent, as he asked.

Julie shook her head. "Not unless you can fix me."

"What is there to fix?"

Julie blushed. "Everything..."

The two just stared at each other, their faces only inches apart. Julie could feel his breath on her face. Neither said a word. Eventually Julie looked down at her lap.

"Romeo, I'm sorry I've been avoiding you. It's just I have a lot of issues. I don't know how to deal with them. You're one of my closest friends and I shouldn't have been avoiding you, especially when you've done nothing wrong."

"Listen, Julie, if you need to avoid me as much as you want." Romeo almost chuckled. "Just make sure it's for the right reasons."

Julie couldn't contain herself. She jumped on Romeo and wrapped her arms around him in a hug. He was startled at first but hugged back.

"Thanks," Julie mumbled.

"Anytime," He said.