Mother and Daughter Talk

Julie slouched down her couch as soon as she got home from school, dropping her backpack next to her.

"Hi, honey, how was school?" Her mom asked.

"It was interesting." Julie stated somewhat hesitantly.

"Oh yeah? What happened?" Ms. Hunter wondered.

"We finished reading Romeo and Juliet today." Julie decided that that would probably get her mom to think about Shakespeare rather than wonder about the rest of her day.

"Oh yeah. I just think that one is beautifully written, well I think everything written by Shakespeare is. Did you enjoy rereading it?" Her mother asked.

"Not exactly... But it's fine." Julie brushed it off. She hadn't told her mom all the ups and downs that went into reading the play.

"Oh well then, anything else interesting happen at school?"

"There's been some gossip about me liking a guy at my school..." Julie admitted to her mother.

Her mother strode over a sat down next to her. "Is there any truth to these rumors?" She asked curiously.

Julie sighed. "Yes! I like him but I don't want him to know that I like him. I don't want to like him in the first place. I was perfectly content hating him before he screwed everything up by moving back here." She rambled on.

"Wait, Juliet," Her mother started. "Do you have a crush on that Romeo boy I know you're friends with?"

"Yes," Julie rested her head in her palms. Her mom gave her a one armed hug.

"There's nothing wrong with having a crush, you know that right?" Ms. Hunter tried to explain.

"There's everything wrong with having a crush! Crushes lead to love, love leads to heartbreak." Julie explained.

"Oh honey, that's not true. Love is a beautiful thing if approached correctly." Ms. Hunter stroked her daughter on the back in a comforting way. Julie just shook her head.

"I can't see how it can lead to anything except heartbreak." Julie grazed her scar with her hand, absentmindedly, as she said this. It was disguised as brushing the hair out of her face but Ms. Hunter recognized the action.

"Sweetheart, do you feel like it might be good to restart going to Dr. Havette again?" The mom asked, worried. She knew that Juliet had some problems related to her father, but she had had no clue how badly they were still affecting her. Julie stood up and looked away, crossing her arms.

"I've been fine without him for two years now. I don't need anymore therapy." The younger woman said stubbornly.

"It might be a good thing. I didn't realize how badly he- I didn't realize how much you disliked the thought of love." Ms. Hunter tried to reason. Julie just shook her head again.

"Mom, I'm fine. It's not a huge problem. It's who I am." She sighed.

It was Ms. Hunter's turn to stand up. "If you're sure. I just want the best for you, you know."

"I know." Julie said as she gave her mom a hug.

After a couple seconds of silence Ms. Hunter spoke up. "Don't forget that we're going to be having a party next week. Maybe it'll make you feel better to invite your friends." Ms. Hunter said as she tried to cheer her daughter up.

Julie smiled. "Thanks, Mom."

"No problem, sweetheart. It's what I do." Ms. Hunter told her daughter, smiling kindly.