The Dance

"Hey, Maria, can you help me with theses streamers?" Julie called out as she helped set up the dance. It was Saturday.

A sophomore girl named Maria obliged and helped her with the streamers. It didn't take long before the gym was ready for the dance. Everyone on the committee admired their work for a moment.

"It looks good doesn't it?" Mark asked Julie. Julie shrugged.

"It doesn't look obnoxious at least. It could be worse." Julie told him. Mark rolled his eyes at her.

"Wow way to compliment our good work." His voice dripped with sarcasm.

The teens were allowed to leave and Julie and Mark talked on their way out.

"So did you find a date for the dance?" Julie asked, making conversation with her friend.

"Nah, there's not many guys who want to go out with me. Locking Grove is a small place. Plus I'm not going to settle for anyone, you know. So I'm going to go stag." Mark explained.

"You'll still be able to hang out with Eric and I, at least." Julie smiled at him.

"You and I both know Eric is going to spend the entire night with Emily and you..." His voice trailed off, not wanting to finish the thought. He knew Julie wouldn't like it.

"And I what?" Julie asked with a sharp hint in her tone.

"You are going to spend it with a certain new kid. I just know it." Mark told her. Julie's face turned red, redder than a tomato.

"That's not true."

"Whatever you say." Mark rolled his eyes. "It's just he clearly likes you and you like him, so connect the dots."

"I don't like him, at least not anymore than a friend. Love isn't real remember?" Julie crossed her arms.

"Keep telling yourself that."

Mark and Julie departed from the school and went home, separating from each other. The dance didn't start until seven and soon it nearly was that time.

Julie had spent the past half an hour getting ready. She was wearing a pale aqua dress that faded out in an ombré style at the hem. The sleeves of the dress were short and lacy and the neckline was sweetheart. The dress went slightly past her knees, showing off her matching aqua flats. Her hair was done is a bun on top of her head, a braid wrapped around it giving it more elegance.

Ivy picked her up a quarter to seven o' clock and the two carpooled to the dance. Ivy, of course, had refused to wear a dress, but still dressed nicely.

Julie was surprised Anthony hadn't rode with Ivy but Ivy explained how he was giving Romeo and Eric rides.

Soon they were there in the school's gym. It was semi-dark in there with only a few lights, giving it a dim glow. When they entered the song that was playing was I'm Yours by Jason Mraz.

Mark saw the two girls enter and waved his friends over to a table the guys were sitting at. It was in the corner away from the chaperones. Eric was playing on a 3DS, hiding it under the table with Romeo and Anthony watching. Romeo stood against the wall like Mark while Anthony and Eric sat at the table.

"Hey, guys!" Julie greeted her friends.

"Hey," Eric mumbled, hypnotized by the video game. "Aw crap!" He added as he died. His friends laughed.