Kate Cameron

"Mom?" Romeo exclaimed in disbelief. On his face was the look of pure shock. "What are you doing here?"

Juliet's face suddenly went red. She felt quite out of place. Romeo's mom was here. She knew Romeo didn't get to see her very often so Julie felt like she was intruding on a private family moment.

"Yeah, Kate, what are you doing here?" Nick asked, crossing his arms and leaning back.

"What better excuse is there than wanting to see my favorite brother in law and my favorite son?"

Julie distinctly heard Nick and Romeo mumble, "Only brother in law." And "Only son." Respectively with emphasis on only.

"Yeah but you said you wouldn't be able to come, Kate." Nick raised an eyebrow at the woman.

"Well, I'm sober," Kate sighed and mumbled under here breath. "For now..." She recovered from that thought. "Anyway I needed to visit."

Romeo gave her a look of incredulity and confusion. "You couldn't have given us a head's up?"

Kate looked surprised to hear this. "I emailed Nick about it three days ago." The two turned to look at Nick.

Nick appeared somewhat bashful, running his hand through his hair similarly to what Romeo sometimes did.

"I've been so busy with work and finishing unpacking and other stuff I haven't been checking up on my personal emails." He explained.

"Well that's good enough for me. Is this a bad time?" Kate asked looking from Nick's face to Romeo's. Romeo glanced at Julie.

"No, Kate it's a fine time. I was actually just about to start dinner." And with that Nick dashed off to the kitchen.

Kate glanced at Julie. "Where are my manners? I'm Kate Cameron, Romeo's mother. And you are?" She asked sweetly, sticking her hand out to shake.

"I'm... Just leaving. Don't mind me." Julie blushed, suddenly having the attention on her.

"Don't leave on my account."

"No I really should be going. It is nearly six and I don't want to intrude." Julie objected.

"You're not intruding. You were here first." Kate gave her a nice smile.

"I should go." Julie persisted, her tone laced with disappointment. It had been nice to hang out with Romeo without their friends again.

"Or," Romeo chimed in, scratching the back of his head again. "You could not." It nearly sounded like a question. "You could hang out with all of us. It would be nice to have you stay around and it wouldn't be imposing or anything. You could stay for dinner." Romeo suggested.

Julie thought it over for a moment. "I'll have to ask my mom." She quickly texted her mom who said it would be alright. "I can stay for a while longer. Are you sure it's not too much trouble?"

"Of course not." Kate grinned.

"Great! I'm Juliet by the way, Juliet Hunter." Julie introduced herself. Mrs. Cameron could not hold back the smirk she had from hearing Julie's name.

"Romeo and Juliet?" She chuckled.

Julie shook her head slightly, smiling. "Everyone seems to have that reaction at first" Romeo nodded in agreement and understanding.

"So, Mom, what have you been up to?" Romeo asked as they went to sit down in the living room.

"You know full well what I've been up to. What I want to know is what you've been up to." Kate stated.

"Uh school." Romeo told his mom. Julie snorted. He had been up to much more than just school. He had embarrassed Julie in front of the class on multiple occasions, he had helped Julie burn one batch of muffins for culinary arts, he had gone to the movies and annoyed many people around them, he had spied on Anthony and Ivy's date, and more. Romeo turned to look at her after he heard her snort.

"Romeo's done much more than just school. Why don't you tell your mom about your first day back?" Julie said slyly.

"What happened on your first day back?" Mrs. Cameron asked curiously.

Romeo recounted the first day of school to his mom. How he saw Anthony again, how he messed around in his classes, how he had been the new kid, and how he had flirted with the girl sitting next to him by passing notes.

He looked as if he remembered something. "That's why you nicknamed my Agent Map. That was the first pick up line I used on you." Romeo mumbled. Juliet nodded smiling.

Kate looked a bit confused. "Romeo, you were hitting on one of your classmates during English class?" Romeo nodded sheepishly and Mrs. Cameron shook her head in disbelief mixed with some slight disapproval but she was chuckling slightly.

"You need to pay attention in class, Romeo."

"I know. Actually English class got a lot more interesting the day afterwards." Romeo smirked. Julie sighed.

"What happened the day afterwards?" Kate questioned.

"We were split into three groups. The Capulets, Montagues, and the impartial. We started reading Romeo and Juliet."

"That must be... interesting for both of you." Kate said. They both nodded.

They talked for the next hour and a half with Nick joining in when they ate dinner (homemade pizza). Julie had to admit that Romeo and his family were a lot of fun to hang out with. She got a text from her brother around seven thirty telling her that he was there to pick her up.

"I have to go. Thank you for having me. It was nice to meet you, Mrs. Cameron. Thanks for helping me with my homework, Romeo." Julie said as she gathered up her textbook. She gave Romeo a quick hug before she darted outside. Romeo was shocked.

"She hugged me." He mumbled in disbelief.

Kate smiled. "I like her, Romeo."

"So do I, Mom. So do I."