His Dad

Monday morning came once more. Another weekend had gone like they always seem to do. It was the first day of February. Julie had to admit that she was nervous about seeing Romeo at school. She didn't know how to act now that she had found out about his father's death. And she had no clue why he didn't stay with this mom.

She was somewhat twitchy. It was an odd topic for her. She didn't want to bring up. Julie didn't know how to act casual now that she knew this information. Should she let him know that she knew or pretend like she didn't as if it were business as usual.

When she saw Romeo that morning she made up her mind. She didn't want to lie to him about this.

"Cameron, can I talk to you?" Julie asked. Romeo shrugged and got up.

"Uh sure, about what?" He wasn't answered immediately. Julie dragged him away from the table with their friends. Romeo followed her outside of the building. They two of the stood, shivering slightly in the February morning air. "What did you have to say to me?" Romeo questioned her again.

Julie took a deep breath. "I know about your dad."

Romeo stared at her with a confused look on his face. "How?"

"The way you talked about your dad and the fact that you live with your uncle made me curious so I looked it up." Julie told him honestly. She looked a bit embarrassed by what she had said.

Romeo smiled slightly. "So I've got my own personal stalker." He joked.

"If anything it's the other way around." Julie teased back. "I'm sorry about what happened to your dad, Romeo."

"Listen, Juliet, you don't have to feel bad for me. It happened years ago. Sure I still miss him but I've accepted it."

"You're right, but it all happened so fast. You didn't get to say goodbye." Julie didn't know how he could have accepted it. She knew if she lost her mom or one of her siblings she would never be able to accept it. In that way she admired Romeo. He was stronger than she was when it came to death.

Romeo sat down on the steps of the school. Julie sat down next to him. Romeo opened his mouth to say something that would shock Julie.

"He was already dying." He informed her.

Julie's eyes went wide. "What do you mean?"

"He had been diagnosed with a fatal disease. The doctors said that he would slowly and painfully die. He still had a year to live. This was two months before the accident." Romeo sighed. "It was eleven days before my birthday when it happened. My parents wanted to have the party early so my friends could come because they would be busy over winter break. We had just picked up my birthday cake and were heading home to finish getting ready."

Julie put a hand on his shoulder. "I know. It was in the article."

"We were all in the car when it happened. The car crashed into the driver's side. My mom and I survived. I was in the back seat and was farthest away from the car the smashed into us. My dad was driving and tried to shield my mom from it. He died instantly." Romeo explained to her.

"Romeo, you don't have to-"

"Let you know why I'm fine? Because I am. He wouldn't have wanted to go slowly, watching us feel bad for him as he slowly loses everything. It was over quickly. He already had a death sentence placed upon him. It was just between dying slowly and painfully or quickly and without the sad goodbyes. My dad would have preferred it that way."

Romeo looked up at her, smiling. Julie smiled slightly too. "I guess I understand now. That makes sense."

"It was pretty sad for a while but it's been years. I've come to accept it."

Julie couldn't help herself. She had to ask one more question. "What about your mom?" She blurted out.

Romeo sighed. This time there was a shadow of sadness on his face. It seemed this wasn't something he had gotten over as easily.

"My mom never was able to accept that Dad died. She started drinking. Soon she was at the bar more than she was at home. One day my uncle found me home alone and decided it was best that he watch over me while Mom got help. She's been in and out of rehabilitation for years now. I rarely see her." Romeo explained to her.

Unexpectedly, Julie grabbed Romeo and pulled him into a hug. He was shocked by this sudden gesture.

"Julie, I said I'm fine." Romeo told her. He didn't want pity.

"I know. It's not because I think you're sad and need a hug. It's for sharing this with me. Thanks." Julie let go. Romeo stood up first and offered his hand to her.

"We should probably head back inside." He said. Julie grabbed his hand and stood up.

"Yeah we should." She smiled at him.