Meeting Nick

Julie was still fairly new to the bakery and today was only her fifth day working there. It was Thursday the fourth of February. Only ten days until Valentine's Day.

Julie was working the cash register like she was supposed to, with Romeo slacking off next to her, when he walked in. He was a tall man with messy, dark brown hair and a somewhat serious look to him. He appeared to be in his thirties. Romeo, who had been leaning against the display case, straightened up. The man reminded her of someone, but she couldn't quite figure out who.

He walked over to the counter. Juliet was ready. She quickly spoke up.

"What would you like?" She asked.

Molly had rushed out of the kitchen and just gotten to Julie's side. The man raised an eyebrow at Julie's words.

"Julie, that's Nick. The owner!" Molly informed the newer worker. Julie blushed after confusing the owner for a customer.

"I'm sorry, sir." Julie apologized. The man, Nick, started to smile.

"Sorry for what? I could've just as easily been a customer." Nick told her. She smiled. Nick turned to Romeo and raised an eyebrow.

"Kid, what are you doing out here?" He shot Romeo a stern, parental glare. "Get back to work, Romeo."

Romeo smiled. "Okay, Uncle Nick." Romeo disappeared back behind the kitchen doors. Nick chuckled at his nephew before turning to Molly.

"Is this the new cashier?" He asked.

Molly grinned and answered with a hint of cheek. "Who else would she be?" Nick laughed.

"Good point. What's your name?" He asked Juliet. He wanted to know each of his employees and he wanted to have a proper introduction.

"Juliet Hunter, sir." Julie told him honestly. His eyes widened slightly. He was surprised that the girl Romeo had talked about a couple weeks earlier was now working for him. His smile grew.

"I've heard some things about you."

Julie looked worried. "What kind of things?"

"That you're a bit of a smart ass. And you're really fiery. That you've got your witty remarks." Nick laughed. Julie shot a glare towards the kitchen as if she was glaring at Romeo. "And that you're smart. All good things. I'm glad to have you working here."

"Thank you, sir." Julie smiled, making a mental note to ask Ivy to show Romeo what fiery really means.

"Please drop the sir. Everyone calls me Nick." He told her. She nodded. "Now if you'll excuse me I have to check up on my kitchen." He said as he walked behind the counter and behind the doors with Molly following behind.

Romeo soon exited the kitchen.

"How'd you get away without Nick noticing?" Julie asked.

"Actually he sent me out here to wipe down the counter." Romeo replied.

"So you told your uncle about me?" Juliet said. Romeo nodded, a faint pink tint appearing on his cheeks.

"Well, yeah... You're pretty cool." Romeo told her honestly.

"And you told him that I'm a fiery smart ass?" Julie glared, mostly teasing. "I'm calm and a smart cookie."

Romeo laughed, the dimples on his cheeks becoming clearer. Julie smiled. It was nice to make someone laugh, even if she believed what she said to be true.

"So what do you say? Want to spy on our best friends with me?" Romeo asked.

Julie narrowed her eyes. "Just to be completely clear, this is not a date."

"Definitely not a date." Romeo smirked.

"And we're just two classmates spying on our friends."

"Yep." Romeo popped the P.

"And it's absolutely not a date." Julie repeated.

Romeo grinned. "Julie, are you trying to say yes?"

Julie huffed. "Yes. I'll help you spy on Ivy and Anthony."

What do you think so far? Should Romeo and Julie be spying on their friends? Is it really not a date? If you like this story please comment! Bye! :)