CHAPTER 21

^pick whichever one for Adelaide or use ur imagination

(•_•) timeskip 5 years (•_•)

TROYE
We never did join that synagogue or go to church after that night... Or any of the nights following. Connor is 35 and I turned 26 today. Life is weird. How fast it goes by when you're having fun and with the right people. And honestly, I couldn't be happier. I have a job! And no, I'm not a prostitute anymore, I work at a Children's hospital as an assistant in a research center for Sickle Cell Anemia. But the more and more time I spend here, the more I want a kid.

The local orphanage gets free yearly checkups and that happens to be today. There's this one little girl. She has beautiful long brown hair that's curly on the bottom and bright green and hazel eyes that remind me of Connor.

"Hey Troye, can you go calm down the kids? They're a bit jittery and scared." The lead scientist tells me and I nod, smiling. I crouch down next to the girl first and say hi, holding out my hand for her to high five. She cowers away and a frown paints on her face.

"Hey, it's okay..." I say in a whisper, "What's your name?"

"Adelaide... W-what's yours?" She says almost inaudibly.

"My name's Troye and I work here with the doctors to make sure you don't get sick!" She smiles a little and her dimples show, my heart melting in the process. "M-Mr. Troye?" Adelaide asks a bit scared.

"What's wrong?" I pout, childishness seeping through my voice.

"I-I'm scared. And I don't having anyone to be in the room when I'm with the doctor a-and I'm scared of the doctor." Tears spring at the corners of the little girls bright eyes and she pulls the face that all kids pull when they're about to full out sob. I place my hand up to her face and stroke her cheek with my thumb.

"I have an idea Adelaide. How about hmmm..." I tap my fingers against my skull and pretend to think, "How about I come with you into the doctor's office? Would that make you feel better?" She nods slowly, her tears fading away.

"Alright let's go Adey." She smiles, grabbing my hand, which sends little butterflies to my stomach. Imagine being a parent.

(•_•) timeskip (•_•)

"Alright, we did it!" I high five Adelaide as she skips out with a green bandaid that brings out her eyes stuck onto her upper arm. All I could think about is her clutching onto me like I was her lifeline when she was scared of the shot. It took a lot of convincing, but I got her to take it and now it's over.

"Hey Adey! Look stickers! You want some?" She jumps, clapping her hands, and grabbing at the small wire basket. I smile endearingly and crouch down next to her, holding the basket out. She grabs a handful, but then stops. Adey drops all the stickers back in and just grabs the entire basket, taking me by surprise.

"Adelaide! You can't do that sweetie!" Instead of throwing a tantrum, which I honestly thought she was gonna do, Adey just looked confused.

"Why not Mr. Troye? There isn't a rule saying that." She says.

I laugh and shake my head trying to explain to her. "Honey, wouldn't the other kids wants stickers too?"

She smiles and shakes her head, "Not if they don't know there were stickers in the first place."

I chuckle and shake my head as well, "God, you remind me of Connor."