Chapter 23

Chapter 23

*Harry's POV* 

"What are you smiling about?" Liam asked me before we walked to the living room our fingers intertwined.

"Just how perfect you really are," I replied and kissed his cheek. He looked at me questioningly and all I said was, "You'd make a great father, Liam. I mean that."

He blinked at me and smiled. He pecked my lips and said, "I'm sure you will, too." We walked into the living room and Danny was still crying, but softly now.

Ruth looked up from Danny to us, looking relieved. "Oh, Liam! Good; you're here! Can you help? I need you to carry Daniel again. He hasn't stopped crying since you carried him," she said, looking panicked and tired.

Liam nodded and walked to the couch after letting go of my hand. I frowned slightly and followed him, sitting beside Karen. She squeezed my hand and smiled at me. I smiled back and watched Liam carry Danny again.

He rocked Danny slightly and held his hand. Danny looked up at him and stopped crying, just to smile again. "There. He stopped crying," Liam stated happily and turned back to Ruth. He was about to hand Danny back to her but she shook her head, frowning.

"Keep holding him. I think he likes you better than me. I blame you for that. I mean, I'm his mother and he prefers to be held by you after one time!" Ruth complained.

Liam chuckled and continued to rock Danny lightly. Danny cooed and gurgled at Liam, making him and me smile. Liam was really good with babies.

"Look at him! He's smiling and laughing with you! Mum, why won't he do that to me?" Ruth said, frowning at Liam and Danny.

Karen laughed beside me and said, "Maybe it's because Liam was the first to hold him. But I'm not sure."

"Well, he better get used to me, cuz he's MY son, not Liam's! What is this world?" she exclaimed.

Callum came back then, frowning. "Ruth, I have to go to work. There was an emergency meeting called after people got fired. I might promoted if I'm there. We have to leave today."

"Now? But we just got here. And look at your son. He finally stopped crying because Liam is holding him. He's being like Kyle all over again!" Ruth said.

"Why don't we just leave him here then? With Liam and your parents?" Callum suggested.

Ruth glared at him and stood up. "Callum, honey. I am NOT leaving Daniel here without me. I'm his mother! He needs me."

"He seems fine to me. He'll just cry again if we take him from Liam. Face it, he's got a way with kids," Callum said.

Ruth scoffed, clearly offended. "Are you saying I don't have a way with our son? I freaking gave birth to him!"

"I know, I know! And no, I'm not saying that at all. Just...Maybe we should just leave him with your family. We'll be back next week. It's just a week without Danny," Callum said.

Liam whistled at that and and shook his head at Callum. "Bad choice of words, Callum," he muttered at him.

Callum widened his eyes and looked back at Ruth. She fumed and took a step towards him. "How could you say that so easily? You want to leave our son so you can go get promoted at work?"

"I said I 'could' get - " Callum started, but Liam cleared his throat to stop him. "Just apologize," he muttered to Callum.

"And what makes you think that my family will just willingly take care of Daniel while we're gone for a week?" Ruth continued.