Chapter sixteen

The damage was done and they were just facing the consequences.

Chidori laid in the hospital bed and had been attached to multiple devices. Some of her bones were broken and she was filled with cuts and buirses, especially near her torso as the impact that hit mostly there and her head.

It was a struggle for those who knew her as she was the light to the room. She was always the heart of the party; however, everything seemed so different with her in such a state.

Gaara sat beside her the who time, not caring about the stares that he earned from the other people.

Kakashi was also one of those people. He had also stayed by Chidori's side as he had wondered why he had this soft spot for her.

He knew Gaara every well since he was famous for all his quick attacks and etc. he was known to be a blood thirsty beast but how could that kid be sitting beside his daughter with pure sadness and pain.

He had caught sight of Gaara and Chidori together in the streets as she toured him. He did not looked bothered that she would pull him around. He did not even looked irritated at the slightest. He actually looked happy.

Kakashi wanted to question him but it seemed that Gaara had already felt his confusion.

"Your daughter... she's a nice girl... one with a very good heart." He spoke quietly as it seemed he was afraid of breaking the silence of the empty room. It was just the three of them. "She was the only one that did not see what the others did, and even when she found out... she still continued to be friends with me... I am sorry for not keeping her safe."

"How long have you two known each other?" Kakashi questioned as it sounded as if they had a deeper past than he expected.

Gaara's mint eyes was fixed on the girl's face, fully taking in the fact that she no longer had her mask on. He then turned to look at her father, "we met over six years ago, we were both kids then..." he remembered her sweet smile. She did not wear anything on her face then. Her eyes were bright blue and she just had the bounciest and sweetest personality.

Kakashi seemed shocked, however, he stayed quiet in order for Gaara to continue.

"She and her village came to meet with the Kazekage for an alliance, which was surprisingly quick." He continued. "Even after that, she and her mother would come and visit... just for me..." he could not help but smile down at the girl who was now filled with bandages, cuts and bruises. "She would always visit.... it was just lately that she-"

"Did not get to visit you... yes... I know." Kakashi cut him off. "Kitsune had informed me about her best friend... I did not expect that we would be meeting this way... or at least getting to talk to each other this way, in front of her." Kakashi gave a small smile, remembering when she finally moved in, someone had called for her at the entrance of the village.

He remembered standing at the sidelines as she and the young red haired boy hugged each other with a bright smile. He knew it was Gaara. He knew who he was but only now did he actually started to think of their connection.

"I... will go now..." Gaara spoke as he got up. "I will need to train for the battle... it was a pleasure to meet you, Mr. Hatake." He said and walked to the door.

"Oh, Gaara..." Kakashi said, making the boy turn to look at him. "You did your best in trying to protect her... thank you for doing so... and good luck." He smiled before the boy left the room. He turned to his unconscious daughter. "My Chidori... you're certainly like your mother... shy, innocent yet you unknowingly had a lot of admirers." He chuckled lowly in a rather sad manner. He looked out of the window before placing his head at the bed and falling asleep

"Kakashi..." Gai spoke softly at the sight of Kakashi, sleeping by his daughter's bed. He was rather worried because even when he looked fine and said he was fine,he wasn't.

He knew that deep within, he was in pain. He knew that he was not eating nor properly sleeping.

"Kakashi, wake up." He said as he slightly shook the man awake. His eye fluttered open to meet Gai's.

His gave a heavy sigh and looked at his daughter. "I'm Fine, Gai... you can leave." He said rather harshly.

Gai was pained to know that Kakashi was a still mad about what had happened. "Kakashi, I'm sorry... I did not know he would do as such." He admitted. "I should have never taught him that."

Kakashi looked up to see Gai's sad expression, something he would barely see. They were friends with kids that they love. They have their own ways of raising a child and he knew he could never judge Gai's method for Gai never judged his.

"I'm the one who should be sorry." Kakashi spoke softly. "I was just scared... that the damage might have gone beyond repair." He explained and turned to face Gai. "I was just afraid that she may not be able to get back up and try again..."

"She always wanted to be a ninja..." Gai said sadly as he too sat down. "I regret teaching him that technique... I should have known he could have messed things up by thinking it was the right time." Gai explained. "I forbade him to do that only with an exemption when in defending an important person... I guess he did not expect Chidori to.."

"To actually take Gaara's place?" Kakashi gave a low chuckle and looked at Chidori. "She's full of surprises... I did not even expect that even other village ninja's to like her."

Gai gave a small smile. "Kakashi, I'm really sorry, if it really makes you uncomfortable... I could... stay away."

"Gay..."

"No, if it really is a bother, I could always keep a distance; keep Lee away from her... I mean... for her safety." Gai said softly as he looked down as a frown formed. "I just really did not expect him to do so. I really thought I made it clear that clear to him... Kakashi I'm really sorry..."

Kakashi placed a hand on Gai's shoulder. He looked at him and gave a small smile. "This is no one's fault... I guess I should have seen it then... that this was bound to happen... especially to her." He looked back down at his daughter. "I'm the one who should be sorry."

"Friends?"

"Friends."