The Investigation Continues

Damien's POV

The rescheduled pack meeting went as such: Kurtis and Oliver did a presentation on where they thought Jillian was, Devon said some things that made no sense because he wanted to point us in a different direction, then the females began creating search parties and put others people in the more domestic jobs.

Everyone was dismissing to go about their day and take on the tasks assigned to them. They all seemed more than willing to help out in finding the Luna. I was telling Christian that we were scheduled to go to the medical examiner's office to see the bodies and make some deductions ourselves when David's mom, Lana came up to us.

Her hair was slightly frizzier than normal and she had red bags under her eyes from crying. I motioned for the Beta to leave, "Do you need something?" I had always been a rather sympathetic Alpha, even though in this case David deserved worse than I was willing to give him. I hoped that I wouldn't have to explain that to his mom.

"Can I talk to you privately?" she asked quietly. Gently I took her to the side, "What's going on?" Lana was a distant cousin on my mom's side, I had never seem her so broken before. She wrapped her self tighter in her sweater as if it would absorb her sadness, "It's about my son...." she sniffled but continued, "I-I...I don't know what to say..." her voice broke and she used the sleeve of her sweater to wipe away some escaped tears.

"Lan, you need to listen to me." I put my hands on her shoulders, "There wasn't much I could do. He has always been disrespectful, there was only so much time before his actions were beyond my patience"

"Yes, yes, I know" She began to compose herself, "You were more than patient, its just- its just that- now I'm all alone..." I sighed and took my hands off her, a few years back she lost her mate right after her son was born. It was a surprise attack that left her nearly as upset as her son being exiled.

"If you want to leave, you have all the right to." I suggested. Lana just looked at me with big, sad, green eyes. "No."

"No? I could set up a transfer for you-"

"Please. Don't send me away. I want to find the Luna."

Lana's words surprised me, even Stone stopped his tracks. She was just staying for Jillian? Pride swelled in my chest, the pack genuinely liked my mate. A few arrogant and envious pups were not the majority.

"Okay, if you need anything, just ask." I smiled at her. With a deep sigh Lana left to do her own duties.

"What was that about?" Christian came back and saw her leave. I looked at him, "Lana just was telling me about how she didn't want a transfer"

"Really? She looked like she was crying"

"How long were you watching?" I turned around to go see the preserved bodies of the rouges in Pete's office, "A mother loves her kid, I took him away and she was sad. It's only reasonable" the conversation with the Beta was over now.

The Gamma began walking with us, "Would you get Devon for me? I would like him to come as well as Oliver..." I began then contradicted myself when Kurtis started to leave, "Scratch that. I need to talk to you"

Yay, your gonna get input from the idiot, Stone turned his head away as a sign of irritation.

I pulled the two men to the side of the hall so we weren't in anyone's way. "What's on your mind?" Kurtis asked. Christian gave me a leveled look as if he was trying to read my thoughts. When Oliver passed, I motioned for him to join our huddle.

"Alpha?" They all looked at me.

"Devon; what do you think of him?" I looked each one in the eye. At first I had no reason to trust him, but I also had no real reason not to. If he wasn't a problem with these men, maybe he wasn't an issue for me.