Chapter 3

Peggy talked very little after Thursday. She could barley stand to be around Eliza and always left if she brought up Alexander.

Peggy was disappointed din herself for being so stupid. For sleeping with her sister's boyfriend.

But she wasn't the only one who developed feelings for him. She could see the look in Angelica's eyes. Even John Lauren's'.

Eliza saw that too, right? She couldn't have been the only one. So, it should be all good. Because she knew that Alexander loved her and only loved her and no one else. Yes, everything is fine. Everything is going to be okay. Everything will be fine.

Then something happened.

Peggy was walking down the street, Eliza walking beside her, talking about how it was such a wonderful day, when she saw someone. He walked with a gait, had deep chocolate skin, hard eyes, and black hair. He was walking straight towards them.

Peggy's heart dropped to her stomach. She looked straight ahead and didn't breathe. "Peggy, are you okay?" Eliza asked. Peggy gulped. "yes," She whispered.

The boy walked past them, accidentally stumbling into Peggy, but purposefully pushed a piece of paper into her hand. "That was rude," Eliza whisper-shouted to Peggy after the boy was behind them. "Yeah," Peggy muttered, and slipped the paper into her back pocket. 

---

Later, Peggy was in the room she, Eliza, and Angelica shared. Angelica had her queen sized bed on one side of the room, made neatly with a light pink comforter. Notebooks and books littered the bedside tables. across the room, were Eliza and Peggy's bunk beds. Single beds, and pushed up against  the wall. Eliza's bed had a tight blue blanket and a white extra blanket folded at the bottom. Peggy's bed, on top, had a yellow blanket in a heap at the foot of the bed. 

Peggy was laying flat on her back, staring at the ceiling. Eliza was below, doing her homework, and Angelica was reading. "Peggy, what are you doing?" Angelica asked. Peggy shrugged. "read a book." She handed Peggy a random book, which she smiled tightly at her sister, and Angelica resumed reading. Peggy opened the book, while discreetly reaching into her back pocket. She pulled out the paper and opened it slowly and quietly in the book so none of her sister's would see. She read it.

"Peggy- I know you slept with Alex. I have my sources. But I need you to meet me at the school tomorrow morning- pronto. James." And then Peggy tried her best not to cry. Who else knew? Why did her want to talk to her?

James was the only one who knew that Maria Reynolds was really Peggy Schuyler. He discovered it when he saw her with her sisters once, and put two and two together. James was a Junior and went to a private school across town. He was fine with it, as long as still got to enjoy her company.

---

The following morning, Peggy and her sisters were walking to school. She followed behind Angelica and Eliza who chatted away, and without the occasional glance back, they paid no mind to her. Once they reached school, they dispersed off into their own groups, Peggy purposefully staying by herself and out of the view of Alexander.

James walked up behind her, grabbed her wrist, and dragged her to the back of the school with no explanation. 

"Peggy, how in the world could you be so stupid?" He asked.

"I don't know," She protested.

"Shut up. Oh my god, you cheated on me?" He asked.

"We were in nothing close to a relationship. Just the occasional meeting."

"But you were my occasional meeting. Not his." He seethed.

Peggy said nothing.

"I have an idea. Peggy, meet me here after school, and hey-" She looked at him.

"Bring Maria."