Chapter 41

The two strolled, hand-in-hand, the sunlight basking on their faces. It was the warmest it's been all winter long- the start of spring was here. So much so they could leave their winter coats and only needed a sweatshirt.

Peggy pulled the zipper up more so it was covering her chin, and muttered, "I did not dress well." 

Lafayette's laugh was pristine. "Well, you wore a tank top and a thin sweatshirt. No wonder you're freezing." 

"Whatever," Peggy mumbled, pulling her hand away from Lafayette's to tuck it into her sweatshirt pocket. She stopped at a bench that was placed along the side walk they were walking. The bench was facing the small pond in the middle of the park, it's ice practically all melted. Signs of life were beginning to blossom, and the sun reflected off the top of the water. 

Lafayette sighed as he saw Peggy sit down, unzipping his sweatshirt and placed it over's Peggy shoulders. She didn't bother to convince him to keep it, because he never really got cold and besides, he was too much of a gentleman to see her freeze like that.

"Thank you." Peggy exclaimed, wrapping the warm material around her like a blanket.

Lafayette smiled and sat down next to her, their thighs touching. He put an arm around her shoulders, and Peggy leaned into his shoulder. "I can't believe Alex and Eliza are actually getting married. And so soon." 

His grip tightened around her. "I know. It's- it's kind of crazy. Alex never really struck me as the type to, ya know, even think about getting married."

"Eliza changed that in him. She's special like that." Peggy smiled wistfully. 

A comfortable silence ensued between them that lasted for about 30 seconds before Lafayette interrupted it.

"Do you think about Alex?" 

Peggy froze. "What? I mean yeah, he lives right near-"

"You know what I mean. I think." Lafayette muttered. The way he spoke made Peggy know he's been thinking about it. He probably mulled it over for hours, figuring out how to say it-

"Oh." Peggy sighed. "Well, I do, but that's only because I regret it. I just- I was awful back then. I was feeling forgotten and wanted to, lash out I guess." 

"But you enjoyed it? That's the part I guess, I've been thinking about. And don't, I'm not trying to hold this against you or anything. Just one of those things that make me lie awake at night." Lafayette started fiddling with his sleeve. 

"At the time, yeah. Just cause I was defying some things. But now it's one of the biggest mistakes of my life." Peggy muttered, just loud enough for Lafayette to hear as another couple walked past them.

"Good. That's- that's good." Lafayette said, forcing a smile that lasted for about 0.2 seconds.

Then it sunk in. What he thought. Peggy's mind raced as she put what he said together, figuring it out-  

She wretched her head from his shoulder, and exclaimed, "You think that Alex has feelings for me?" 

Lafayette's eyes got wide, "No, I just-"

Peggy looked at him in such a way Lafayette sighed and said, quietly, "No, just, he looks at you sometimes. And I get people just look at people, but I- I get paranoid, and I know Alex has cheated before and he hasn't learned!"

"What do you mean he hasn't learned? With what he went through with Eliza?" Peggy inquired, cocking her head to the side like a puppy, trying to figuring out what Lafayette meant. His words lately seem to be layered with a double meaning. 

"Tell me. Please, babe?" Peggy shuffled closer to him, putting her hands on his thigh. 

Lafayette, looked at her, bewildered, and then into her eyes. He melted into them and sighed. 

"John is sleeping with Alex."

---

Ugh. This is gross. Apologies. 

I love Lafayette and I'm sorry if that sort of puts him in a bad light, but ya know? All characters have flaws and I was like, "You know who seems like the paranoid boyfriend type? Our loyal and Peggy-flatterer, Lafayette." It's just kinda cute I guess.

And yeah, I'm true to my word! Pretty regular updates! Woot woot!

I had a half day today and probably a snow day tomorrow so like yay writing.