Chapter Four

Peggy nervously ducked into the girl's bathroom after school. She locked herself in one stall, and poured out the contents of her purse- red lipstick, eyeliner, foundation, a red sweater- she could work with that. She took off her yellow sweater and buttoned on the red one. She smoothed her black skirt, and then threw everything in her bag and applied the make-up. She let her down and pinned one side of it up, and then frantically styled the yellow sweatshirt over her head, to hide, and then ran down the nearly empty hallway to her locker, pulled out a black sweatshirt, and shrugged it on. She threw her back-pack and yellow sweater into her locker, and then frantically looked through her sisters' lockers looking for shoes. Angelica had a pair of black sandals...Peggy threw off her yellow converse and slipped on the sandals that were too big for her. Then Peggy threw the yellow converse in her locker, and then someone rounded the corner. 

"Hey, what are you doing in my locker?" Angelica asked. Peggy threw the hood over her head and pulled it down, and then ran down the hallway, Angelica chasing Peggy in her 4-inch heels. Peggy rounded a corner, and then pushed herself out of an emergency exit door, and shut it behind her. She took a moment to lean against the door and catch her breath before pulling out her phone and called James.

She received no answer but a text from him saying, "behind the school." Peggy slipped her phone in her pocket, and discreetly went behind the school, where James was waiting with Alexander Hamilton. 

"Maria-" Alexander said, but James interrupted. "Shut up."

Peggy, er- Maria, crept towards James and stood by his side. 

"Hammie, did you know that I know you slept with my girlfriend?" James asked, smirking.

"How do you know? Maria, did you tell him?" Alexander was turning red and he stepped towards Maria holding up am accusing finger-

"No, and step away from her, Hamilton. And you know what I'm going to do?" Alexander put his hand down and looked up at the tall James.

"I'm going to tell Eliza-" James smiled, and Alexander's face sunk. "No, you can't do that-" His eyes watered. 

Peggy wanted to reach out and tell him, "It's okay." And then he'd be happy and everyone would go home and have a happy life. But no, that's not how life works. Peggy stayed still. 

"I can, but I won't if you do something for me." James polished his fingernails on his coat.

"What is it?" Alexander pleaded.

"Pay me 50 bucks monthly."

"I'm sorry what?" He asked, his eyes getting huge.

"You heard me, 50 bucks each last day of the month. Or  else Eliza is gonna know about your little meeting with my girlfriend." James smiled, and Peggy seethed, flushing red in her cheeks.

Alexander stood stone still for once in his life.

"So?" James asked.

"Nobody needs to know," Alexander said finally, reached into his back pocket, and pulled out 3 tens and a twenty. He stalked off, leaving Peggy and James.

"James, that is terrible!" Peggy yelled. 

"Shut up, Maria." He laughed, and grabbed Peggy's arm and kissed her. 

"Get off me, James." Peggy snarled.

"Oh, sweetheart, we both know what happens if you put off our relationship." Peggy gave him a look.

"So you better not try anything like that again or Maria and Peggy will be exposed." He laughed and let Peggy go. She wiped away her tears as she went back into the school to change.