Chapter 11

Peggy ate her croissant silently. The small bakery was busy, and her and Lafayette were lucky enough to snag a seat. They sat and watched as people rushed by them. It was fun to examine the world, Peggy thought, as she saw a woman blush as another commented on how gorgeous her hair was. It was good to step back and feel like your life wasn't so terrible and watch other people's lives be great. The smallest gesture of a child reaching for a mothers hand, a man opening the door for another, two friends laughing as one of them whispered in the others ear. Peggy wished she had that.

"You look beautiful this morning, Peggy." Lafayette commented as he broke her from her daze. Peggy blushed. "Thank you," she mutters, and pushed a stray curl behind her ear.

"Peggy, I kissed you last night because I like you. I feel like we could be something." He continues thoughtfully. Peggy felt her heart beat faster. She felt something special for Lafayette- she was definitely attracted to him. And he was attracted to her- he took actual interest in her.

But the whole ordeal with Alexander wasn't even close to over. But now that James had nothing against her, she could break off the relationship and tell the authorities. But she had to wait until Alexander was done with his thing.

"Marquis, I like you, very, very much. It's just that I'm not done with Alex and his whole thing. My sisters boyfriend cheated on her with me. It's not like I can let that slide over and start dating his brother." Peggy explains, and reaches for Lafayette's hand. "I like you s lot. I want this to become something. Just, now is not the time." She says softer. He's quiet for a minute until he squeezes her hand back. "I'll wait." He whispers, and the two of them finish up in silence.

---.