Chapter 15

After the survey at the castle, you went to the basement to inform your grandfather about your upcoming trip. You were currently sitting in a small desk chair as your relative listened to your story while he rifled through a crate of various gears and parts. You didn't know what he was planning, but he was the only option to combat the boredom you felt. Your friend was taking a nap, and you didn't feel like doing anything productive. You stared at your grandpa as he continued finding parts.

Soon, all of the pieces were found, and he moved to a work bench. He placed on some dark goggles, and he tossed a pair to you, as well. You had barely placed the glasses over your eyes when bright sparks started flying from the table. He was in a state of pure conversation, so he wasn't going to say anything until he was out of "the zone." You decided to play on the new tablet to pass the time.

The device was light-weight, but it was decently sized. You had to use two hands to hold it firmly. There was a small "on" button that was begging to be pushed, and the minute you did, the screen illuminated. The small screen showed various icons to press, such as call, camera, and there were even games. Some apps were for missions only, so you tapped on a interesting game, and the time wasting began.

You could tell who chose he games to install on your tablet, since Sonic was the main character in all of them, but you enjoyed them anyways. During your gaming marathon, different sounds echoed through the lab, but you didn't look up. You were busy trying to beat the record on a side-scrolling game. You were less than 1,000 points away when you died. You were seething with rage, and you almost tossed the device in your fit of anger. Luckily, your grandpa-pi grabbed your wrist before your new tablet smashed against the wall.

"Before you break a valuable device that you received today, let me show you what I've been working on," your grandfather stated as he released his hold on your wrist. He walked back to his table, and you placed your tablet on your chair as safely as possible. Your relative was right, and he made sense this time. You followed the man to his work bench, where various objects laid in waiting.

Your granddad was analyzing an electronic gizmos when you came to the table. It device was very small, about the size of a button on a coat. A small red light was blinking on it, making you very intrigued. The object was dropped into a small leather bag, and the ouch was placed in your hands by the scientist.

"While they might be small, (Y/N), " your relative explained, "they pack a powerful punch. These shockers emit a strong electric pulse when they come in contact with any robotic being. The larger the robot, the more shockers are needed to paralyze. You have a limited amount, so use them carefully."

"Um, thanks, but" your began, "why do I need all this? It's not like I'm on my own."

"Fate is a very funny thing, child. You never know what will happen out there, " your grandfather answered. "Well, I know that your going to freeze in Artika. Your gonna need some warm apparel to survive such a cold climate."

You started to defend yourself, "Please, I love winter. I think I can handle a cold breeze."

"(Y/N), the winter temperature you experienced in Soumerca is like the surface of the sun when compared to Artika. You've never experienced a snow fall," the man reasoned.

"I've seen pictures," you retorted, "...fine, what'cha got?"

"It's not much, but I've fixed some old winter clothes to radiate heat by using motion as power. In other words, the more you move, the warmer you'll be," he stated as he pulled out a (F/C) jacket, matching boots, white gloves, and white ear-muffs.

"Wow, just my style!!!" you exclaimed, "and functional, right?"

"Indeed," he agreed. "Hmm, that's all I have for you right now. I'm positive they will be very useful to you. After all, when have my creations failed." You were about to answer when your relative interrupted, "Don't answer that."

"Well, thanks for the stuff, Grandpa," you said as you began walking up the basement stairs. You hustled with your new supplies to your bedroom when you heard the scientific man complain that his inventions were not just, "stuff."

The rest of the day consisted of planning, and organizing for your little "vacation." Afterwards, you enjoyed a delicious dinner with the others. The tablet was once again in your hands as you fiddled around the settings on the device. Boredom took hold, and you decided that you needed your beauty sleep. You started to fall into a peaceful slumber, until an obnoxious noise was heard.